Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a Terk 5x8 switch I purchased a few months ago that I use with my D* oval dish. Up until now this has worked great.

Recently I purchased a Samsung HDTV D* receiver and I'm in the process of setting up an antenna to receive local Hi-Def channels. My understanding is that I can feed the output from the antenna into the 5x8 on one side and use a diplexer to split the satellite from the antenna feed on the other side. However, this is not working.

When I set things up as stated above, I only get the signal from the antenna out of the diplexer. If I disconnect the antenna output from the diplexer, I then get the signal from the satellite. I would like to know what might be going on here.

I've tried 2 separate diplexers and they both exhibit the same behavior. Any trouble shooting suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Your description doesn't sound quite right. You describe taking the antenna signal off the antenna feed of the multiswitch. You have to input the OTA into the fifth input of the multiswitch. Make sure you are using a diplexer and not an ordinary splitter. And, that the in/outs are connected correctly. The diplexer can then be used on any of the 8 outputs of the switch as needed.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Make sure the diplexer is the type that passes DC on the sat leg and blocks DC on the antenna leg. Is a preamp or any other device on the line besides the dish, antenna, multiswitch and diplexers?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
greywolf, what do you mean
Quote:
Make sure the diplexer is the type that passes DC on the sat leg and blocks DC on the antenna leg.
I have never heard about this function, can you explain? How does it work and what is it's function? Thanks greywolf, always great chatting with you in this great forum.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The DirecTV receiver sends a DC voltage to control the polarity of the LNB, therefore, the diplexer needs to pass this DC thru to the LNB or multiswitch. You don't want this DC to be passed onto the antenna leg or for stray voltage from the antenna leg get to the sat leg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks for all the quick responses.

jdspencer:

The signal from the antenna goes into the antenna input on the 5x8. I have the diplexer splitting out the antenna from the satellite off one of the eight outputs. I'm using a Terk Diplexer, model BDS-P1. I'm also using a Terk 5x8, if that means anything.

greywolf & jdspencer:

I was not aware there was a difference beteween diplexers, that is, those that block the DC vs. those that pass the DC. Is there such a thing as an in-line DC blocker? (I'm going to guess the answer is yes to this, but I haven't looked yet...)

The DC blocker sounds like it could fix the issue. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I thought that might have been the problem but didn't quite know at first how to bring up the subject. If you're in the market for more diplexers down the line, single passthru units are available for 1/6 the price of the Terks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.