AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to modulate my TiVo signal, but have a unique situation based on some cabling limitations.

My whole-house video amplifier/distribution system is downstairs, but my TiVo (and where I want to put the modulator modulator) is upstairs - and I don't have any more available RG6 cables available between the two.

Here's what I'm considering - can someone tell me if this will work?

Currently, I have an RG6 cable coming from OUT TO SAT RECEIVER on the distribution system and going upstairs to the DSS receiver. I'm wondering if I can use TWO DSS dixplexers (which split/combine SAT and CABLE from/to a single RG6 cable) in the following way with my one cable that runs from upstairs to downstairs:

UPSTAIRS: Connect the SAT side of a dixplexer to the SAT input on the DSS box, and connect the ANT side of the diplexer to the modulator, the connect to my RG6 cable.

DOWNSTAIRS: Connect the SAT side of the diplexer to the OUT TO SAT RECEIVER port on my distribution system, and the ANT side of the diplexer to the AUX IN port on my distribution system, which will inject the modulated channels into the cable feed running around the house.

Will that work?

Thanks in advance for any advice. BTW - I don't have to worry about any IR stuff - I have whole-house Xantech stuff taking care of it. I am just wondering about using the diplexers with the modulator as described above.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, this will work without a problem. Just make sure you modulate over an unused off-air channel in your city, and leave at least one channel in between. (i.e, CBS is on CH. 38, you pick ch. 40)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg:

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a shot!

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
CC has the Hughes DirecTivo units for $99. The second Tivo subscription costs the same as another receiver ($4.99/month). This is what I did, and it provides more utility for about the same money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.