AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a RadioShack Diplexer (Sat/TV Splitter/Combiner) Part # 16-2567 (40-2150MHz) It is supposed to combine a sat feed and ant feed to one coaxial cable. I have a Dish Network 522 receiver in my living room and I have the home distribution cable from the back of the receiver going to my bedroom. I installed the diplexer on the sat feed from the living room receiver in the sat side of the diplexer and a pair of rabbit ears on the ant side. Ant. works perfect have great hdtv signal coming in. However when I tune to channel 60 (my sat feed channel) it is really fuzzy. Do I not have the right kind diplexer?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Diplexers are to be used in PAIRS - one to combine an OTA antenna and your dish signal and the other to split it out again. Alternatively, you could use the diplexers to combine your Satellite input and the coax output then split them out again (OTA to TV2, satellite to Dish).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Does your bedroom television have a HRC/IRC/OTA setting? If it does, make sure it is set for OTA. Also make sure your 522 is outputting on OTA channel 60.

I'm assuming the OTA antenna is in the bedroom. The cable coming from your 522 should be only RF60 (cable 116) and when used with a simple 2-way splitter and the antenna, your television should see the 522.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Are you saying that you fed the channel 60 signal from your dish receiver into the SAT side of the diplexer? If so, that is not the intended use of a diplexer. It is meant to combine the signal directly from the satellite dish outside into the SAT side and an antenna into the ANT side, then a second diplexer inside separates the two signals again.

If you want both the channel 60 signal and locals off a rabbit ear in the bedroom a signal combiner as suggested above may work as long as the locals are strong and there is nothing in your area on channel 60 (probably not nowadays). An RF switch would actually be a neater solution. The rabbit ear would experience less loss if you placed it in the bedroom nearer the TV.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Channel 60 is being attenuated by the high side of the diplex filter.

As stated you can't use it for this purpose, remove the diplex filter run the sat output directly to the other TV and move the local antenna near the other TV. (if you don't have 2 inputs use an a/b switch).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone had asked what the sat feed does on ch 60 without the diplexer. It works perfectly. And it still works when I put the diplexer in between the coax coming from the receiver in the other room and the tv bedroom but channel 60 is fuzzy with the diplexer with or without the ant hooked up. I guess this just isn't possible without an a/b switch. I really don't want to use a switch but if that is my only choice I guess I will use one. Do they make an a/b switch that remote controlled?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Systems2000, my tv has a cable or ant setting if that is what you mean by ota setting. My tv is a panasonic viera less than 3 months old so it should have the settings. I will give the regular splitter a try tonight.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
It can be fairly complicated, merging the TV2 UHF channel in with the OTA channels,

see Dishnet Distribution Example 8 (single sat feed), 4 (two sat feeds) and 6 (four sat feeds):
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...onExample8.pdf
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...onExample4.pdf
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departme...onExample6.pdf

I can't find the master entry link anymore....modify URL to check out Example1-12....

Dishnet Super Home Node is "simply" a 2-way Combiner to combine the TV2 UHF

channel with the OTA channels (with an OTA Distribution Amp), followed by a

4-way Splitter to send the combined signal to each TV....and a Power Inserter Module (PIM):
http://www.eagleaspen.com/admin/prod...n/file_227.pdf

If you already have a Preamp and only feed OTA to two TVs, you could use

a pair of (DC Blocking) 2-way splitters instead of the Super Home Node/PIM,

although be sure the Preamp's PIM is between the Splitter and the Preamp.

BTW: Ch52-69 were auctioned off and are being re-populated with various other non-TV users.

Hunt around for a channel that is unoccupied, hopefully with unoccupied or weak adjacent channels.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusselburg /forum/post/18144947

Systems2000, my tv has a cable or ant setting if that is what you mean by ota setting.

Yes. You need to use the "ANT" setting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The backwards splitter worked. The HDTV over the rabbit ears are crystal clear and the ch 60 (sat feed) is working. However I do have one quick question. I just used an old splitter I had lying around it is a 5-900mhz and it do see a little shawdowing (not bad) on the sat feed. Could a different splitter clear it up a little? If so what mhz range and/or brand should I go with?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brusselburg /forum/post/18148851

The backwards splitter worked. The HDTV over the rabbit ears are crystal clear and the ch 60 (sat feed) is working. However I do have one quick question. I just used an old splitter I had lying around it is a 5-900mhz and it do see a little shawdowing (not bad) on the sat feed. Could a different splitter clear it up a little? If so what mhz range and/or brand should I go with?

No, but maybe sticking a 700 MHz low pass filter on your antenna input to the splitter might help.

Reasoning - fullpower digital signals only go up to channel 51 now - 700 MHz is about channel 52 or so. Using this filter should block out any exteraneous broadcast channels from coming in - and keep you from broadcasting out on channel 60. You might also try experimenting with higher broadcast channels to see if the effect is lessened.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If he doesn't have any VHF-Low OTA, he could try channels 2 through 6 (minus 3 & 4, if he is distributing any recording devices).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.