AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6000 connected to a DISH 500 with the twin LNB (built-in sw21s) and to a separate dish for the HD feed. Today I use a SW21 to combine the twin LNB and 61.5 dish together and every thing works great. My receiver sees all three birds.

I want to install and attic antenna this weekend for OTA but I don't have a separate RG6 run to connect to the OTA module. Therefore, I want to use a pair of diplexors.

Are there any concerns with using diplexors in this configuration? Do I need to put DC "blockers" on the links to the antenna? What about placement of the diplexors? Should I place them before or after the SW21?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You should install the diplexors after the SW-21. You do not need to worry about DC blockers at all.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Perhaps I'm oversimplifying this, but if you've got an amp on your antenna, you can't run power back up through the diplexor.

I've got two that I bought from Dish Depot that I can't use because of this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Makes sense Randy. I was afraid of damage to the sw21 switches or LNBs, etc.

I just can't find any good reference material on this stuff.

I only have a single run to the sat receiver and I am pretty sure I will need an amp to pick up anything. I am going to try some high powered indoor antennas that I can high somewhere around the entertainment center.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Take a look at the Channel Master 4007IFD ( www.channelmaster.com ). This is a combination diplexer and antenna pre-amp that will use the DC passed from the satellite receiver (it comes with an independent power supply-for use only if for some reason you don't get enough DC). I have a setup similar to yours, and this is what I use. There are 3 inputs: two sat (if you have dual LNBs), and one antenna. The antenna feed is amplified and added to both sat feeds. Two outputs, to feed two sat receivers.

I bought mine from www.warrenelectronics.com

------------------

Fred S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.