Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

General consensus for 1 7.1 system seems to be to place the back surrounds about 2 or 3 feet apart on the rear wall.

Having no side walls and with the lisening postion close to the rear wall, I think a 7.1 system would be difficult. So I'm starting with 5.1 initially.

Since there are no side walls near the listening postion in a large room (17 x 40), placing the side speakers freestanding isn't an option, so I would like to mount them on the read wall, which is only 1 feet behind the listener, about 6 feet high.

Would it be better with the 2 dipoles spaced apart 7or 8 feet, like the 2 front speakers or spaced closer together?

Adri.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
hi adri,

the best solution for your room is to try it and see.

however, the distance from the listener isn't a critical factor. we have a similar set up for our 7.1 system and we hung the surrounds from the ceiling and carefully adjusted the delay times and sound pressure levels with the avr. with a little tweeking, it sounds great.

good luck,

eric

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Generally dipoles are not fussy about placement provided they have some surface to reflect the sound, your back wall serves that function. In my own setup I've had dipoles mounted farther apart, about the width of the listening area and have gotten good results.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.