AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking at a 5.1 setup for now with possible upgrade to 7.1 later. I'm planning on purchasing the new Paradigm studio ADP's for my surrounds and likely mounting them on my wall. HT dimensions are to be 12' X 18' X just under 8' high.

Although it will be tight, I'm planning on a riser in the rear for seating positions around 14' rear and 11' front. My question is, with the new ADP's the angled drivers may end up being more directional than I'd like. I understand that the listener is supposed to be directly beside the speaker in the null. However, with two rows, if one row is in the sweet spot, the back row will have a surround speaker pointing almost directly at them from the front, for a rear placement, the front row gets a directional speaker pointing at them. Any thoughts on how to get the best sound for this setup or would monopoles be a better option?

80% movies, 20% music, maybe some multichannel music in the future but not a big concern right now. Studio 60's for fronts, CC470 center channel, PW 2200 for sub.

Any advice is most welcome

· Registered
1,304 Posts
I would try to get hold of the polar response of these speakers in order to find out how large is the null they create. Not all dipoles have the same sized null. When you see how large the null produced by these dipoles is you can more easily answer the placement question.

Generally you Will have to make a compromise. I like to optimize for the main listening position. But if you keep the speakers high it will be less likely that even those in less than optimal seating areas will be overly distracted by the dipoles. My guess is you will have to position them slightly to the rear of the main seating area ( you tell me if its the 11 ft or 14 ft position ) up high on the wall.

Alan

· Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alan! I'll see if I can fish out some specs on the paradigms. Has anyone used these speakers in this type of setup? Any advice?

Derek

· Registered
504 Posts
I also have Paradigm Studio ADPs and am wondering about the speaker placement. I currently have mine mounted about 17" from the back wall, and the sound is not what I would call overwhelming. Here is my setup:

Fronts - Paradigm Studio 100's

Center- Paradigm Studio CC

Rears - Paradigm Studio ADP (These are Di-Pole speakers)

Back Rears (for 7.1) - Paradigm SAE-25 In-ceiling speakers

My room is 20' wide and 16' deep. I can't really move my listening position too much because I have a Sharp 10000 pointed at a 110" screen.

Brad

· Registered
1,304 Posts
May I assume that your listening position is also 17 inches from the back wall? How high off the floor are they placed.

You also realize that your rooms dimensions are multiples of each other. Not the best situation in terms of room modes. How high is your ceiling?

Optimally you would like 2-3 feet to the nearest boundary with a dipole to get the sound to diffuse.

Alan

· Registered
504 Posts
Alan,

The room is 16' 9" X 19' 3". The screen is along the 19' wall. My listening position (where my ears are when I'm sitting) is 18" from the wall. The ADPs are 17" from the back wall. I could conceivably move the speakers forward a bit, say 6". If I did do that, would it matter if I was sitting more towards the back of the speaker (not behind it, probably perpendicular to the rear edge of the speaker)? I don't really want to get much closer to the screen.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.