Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I was wondering if I can use a pair of monopoles to create a dipole speaker? I assume I would wire them in parallel to do this. 2 questions:

1) is this the same as a true dipole speaker? If not, is it similar? (I mean, does it sound similar?)

2) Which direction would be the right direction for this pair? Would the correctly wired speaker face the front or the reverse wired speaker face the front?

IF anyone has tried this, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
1) If the speakers are wired in phase, + to + and - to -, you'll have bi-poles. If you wire them out of phase, + to - and - to +, you'll have di-poles, which is your goal. The positioning is what will determine how close you'll get to matching the same thing in a single cabinet. I suggest you try it both ways and let us know how each way sounds.

2) I imagine that the 'correctly-wired' speaker should face the front, to better allow side sounds to fill in the space between the front and side speakers. Also, the reverse-wired speaker should match the rear speakers in polarity, even if that means wire the rears reversed, so they match the rear-facing side speakers for the same reason.

Keep in mind that all of this assumes that all of your equipment maintains the same relative polarity throughout the signal path, either inverting or non-inverting.

My speakers are all bi-polar (except the front-center), which means I don't have the concerns you are asking about. I, and many others, believe that we have enough separate audio channels now that we don't need the de-correlation provided by di-polar speakers; the directionality has become desired.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.