Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I know dipole speakers give a nice non-diffuse envelopment, while direct radiators are better for sounds that should be localized, especially for multi-channel music.

I wondering if the wide dispersion speaker is a good compromise to getting the best of both worlds - ambience and some localization. Sort of a Tripole type effect. Some examples of "wide dispersion" speakers would be Klipsch RS-3 speakers using their WDST technology and Infinity Quadrapoles - I'm sure there's many others.

Has anyone experienced both and what were your opinions? Anyone use Tripoles, such as M&K's?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Speakers with good off-axis response, that is relatively flat at all listening angles might fit your bill. The Waveforms I own are designed this way. The egg-shaped midrange/tweeter housing promotes even dispersion, but they have none of the diffuse sound quality of, say, Def. Tech's, which aren't to my taste at all. Some of the Acarian Alon models are designed similarly to the Waveforms, you might look into them. There are others.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I too am a Waveform owner, and the superior dispersion offered by the egg-shape is real.

For side surrounds in a 7.1 system, the Waveform will still shoot a clear signal at the ear, as well as a wide dispersion pattern.

I too would like to audition some bipoles to experience the diffuse pattern compared to the wide-dispersion pattern. I would think that a lot of this is highly room dependent too, so a home audition would be recommended.

- Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been using various versions of the M&K Tripoles for years and am constantly impressed by the imaging capabilities of the tripoles. My current system has four of their Professional Series MPS-2525's as surround channels in basic tripole mode and they sound incredible. The coolest thing is they give you the ability to change the radiation pattern of the speakers to best serve your room and listening tastes. You can operate in Tripole, Dipole, Monopole, Full Tripole (2.4 ohm load with full output from all 9 drivers), and can go into a hybrid type mode where you can make various adjustment to driver output balance by installing various levels of resistors sizes the speaker terminal -- this is a very flexible design! I hope this helps in your search.

MIKE

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.