AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to help my uncle set up a relatively inexpensive sound system (~$2000 for speakers and reciever) for his new HDTV. His room is 12'x28.' I was wondering if Dipoles or Bipoles on the side walls would be a good option for a room like this. Or would direct radiating surrounds on the back walls be a better fit for this long room? What about tripoles on the back walls? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I use dipoles on the sides and rears in a 7.1 configuration. This gives me a VERY enveloping soundfield. Some individuals swear by monopoles, however, I find their use distracting. Its all a matter of personal preference. Having said that I would not recommend the use of monopoles for side speakers in a room only 12 feet wide.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, it depends on what you want to do, right?

How many speakers total (5.1, 7.1)?

Music or theater? What %?

From what I've read most people say diploes or bipoles for theater with the speakers null point placed in-line with the listener and the speakers placer higher then the listener to increase the dispersion/indirect effect.

For music (like sacd or dvd-a), monopoles with speakers place behind and a bit to the side of the listener.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think the sound of the dipoles would be nice as this is probably about 85% home theater and only 15% music. I like the soundfield dipoles produce and think my uncle would too. This will be a 5.1 set up and I'm leaning toward dipoles and if that doesn't work for him then monopoles in the rear of the room on bookshelves firing toward the front. Sound like a good idea?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a 11.5 by 28 foot room. I put dipoles on the side (the sides are the 28 foot walls) , and they are still there. I had some cheap direct speakers at first, and they didn't really spread the sound out, they were too close to me (the mains are twice as far as the side surrounds). Behind the mid room seating area, the room opens into an L, and I have a bar directly behind the seats. The system sounded good, but there was a hole behind me, I think the distance and the bar and all the stuff really stopped any reflections from the rear. I added 2 rear direct speakers hanging from the ceiling above the bar and this filled in the rear quite well. For awhile I had a single center speaker in the back, but I like the 2 rears much better. If your room is set up the other way, then this may not be of much help.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sounds like a good idea mrice123.

Just a general statement (to address what where1 said). Dipoles work well with reflection to help the sound envelope you. I might have the same problem that where1 mentioned. The back of my current listening area is open. I'm getting my dipoles in a week so I'll find out then.

Another $.02... wonder whose collecting the change...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tips! Hopefully he'll get dipoles & that'll work for him. That's going to be my suggestion at least.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.