AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the surround speakers are ideally placed to the side of the listening position in a 5.1 system. Here is my dilemma - my room is quite small - 10.5x10.75; with the listening position at the "back wall". I am not sure I will be able to mount the right surround speaker on the side due to some potential structural obstacles. (The speakers are psb Alpha S's - two sets of drivers in an angled enclosure.)

So my second option is to mount the rear speakers on the back wall - I think I can still get within the preferred 110 degree positioning. My question now is at that location, the speaker drivers will be aimed "over" the listening position. Will this pretty much destroy the "diffusiveness" (is that a word?) of the surround channel field?

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts / experience with this type of situation.

Thanks.

·
Registered
775 Posts
My dipoles are currently on my back wall. I have the same situation with my step. My best listening position happens to be against the back wall. I tried putting my dipoles on the side and I didn't like the way it sounded. They're not mounted on the back wall but rather just against the wall on the back sides of my couch. They are my back speakers while my surrounds are direct firing located about 10 feet from my ears while my dipoles are near at about 5 feet. I'd like to have them up on the wall to see how that would sound, but I don't know where the mounting brackets are. It sounds really good. Give it a try.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My room is 14x17 and my back row of seats is against the back wall. I have a single dipole mounted on the back wall and it sounds great!! It is mounted at the same height as my surrounds (also dipoles).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for sharing your experience with this issue. I am going to put them on the back wall and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I bailed out of dipoles about two years ago. I use mono poles now and find the soundtrack to be very accurate. They use them to mix with at post production.

They (dipoles) provide a very spacey sound and the mono pole lock in the sound track better.My 2 cents.

KG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts