Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 www.orionstudios.com/DirectDVD.html

With about 200,000 downloads at cnet, I'm sure some of you have seen this software. A software player that is extremely polished, AND offers a whole bunch of features. The five minute trial is very aggravating because you can only access many of the features while a DVD is playing. But there are some very interesting features there.

It tends to work like Zoom PLayer, in that it easily loads whatever filters are currently registered. It has its own filters, but I am not sure why it defaulted to the registered direct show filters.

It has built in EQ and a feature that automatically skips FBI warnings. You'd have to check it out yourself and see if you can get any further than I can in 5 minutes.:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you don't like the 5 minute shareware and want to try it for longer, then a 'weekend pass' is available for 'only' $9.95. (Or you could buy the full version for $40.

I don't really think that this a hot contender for DVD player of the year. Given that most people already have appropiate players bundled with various hardware, Zoom player for $0/donation is going to beat this, and if people are going to spend good money on a replacement I would think the TT player would win out..

Always good to know the options though ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Can someone explain how this software decodes SDDS? Is this an 8 channel surround sound format? Sony Dynamic Digital Sound used in the theaters? I didn't know Sony had started releasing DVD's in SDDS. How could this player process SDDS material without the material being out there to buy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Durwood
Can someone explain how this software decodes SDDS? Is this an 8 channel surround sound format? Sony Dynamic Digital Sound used in the theaters? I didn't know Sony had started releasing DVD's in SDDS. How could this player process SDDS material without the material being out there to buy?
bump because i want to know as well

·
Registered
175 Posts
bump.............

I think a better question is are there any prepro's, or receivers that can decode SDDS? If there are, I've never seen any? If Orion Studios claims to have the ability to decode SDDS, that is quite a trick............somebody must know something more than us.;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check out some of your DVDs that claim to have DTS soundtracks... when you view the contents with a ripping tool or something similar you can see that in some cases the tracks are listed as SDDS not as DTS as they should. Maybe it´s the same to decoders and these guys just wanted to beef up their feature list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.