AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you DMR-HS2 owners also use a Pronto remote, but I have made a set of "keyboard" panels to allow direct entry of letters, numbers, and symbols. You have to hunt and peck, but at least you don't have to hit "1" or the arrow keys 12 times to get each letter. It isn't fast (it still has to send the IR codes x times), but it works well for me. If anyone finds discrete codes, it would be faster, but I don't think they exist. The CCF also includes buttons with LEARNED codes from the original remote plus discrete on/off.

Just thought I would share. I hope this is not an inappropriate thing to post here.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The file link didn't take...

NOTE: See more recent post in same thread for an alternative keyboard layout...

NOTE: Updated to bug fix 1.1 (fixed "g" issue).

dmr-hs2_keyboard_v1.1.zip 9.8583984375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey thanks Mark - that's something I can make use of!It's a pity that Pana didn't put a PS2 keyboard input on the HS2 as has been done on some minidisc decks - I bet it will happen on the next model or the one after!

Cheers

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is another layout for the keyboard that I think is easier to use. The codes are the same, but the key layout has been changed.

BTW, if I should stop sharing my updates, let me know...if there is interest, I'll keep things current if I decide to change it again.

NOTE: This file has been updated to 2.0 (bug fix for "g" issue and "U" issue) on 12-16-02

dmr-hs2_keyboard_v2.0.zip 10.466796875k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mark,

Your panels look really nice and easy to use. I downloaded to my Pronto but it does not work as I have my hs2 set to remote code 2 so as not to conflict with my other Panasonic DVD player. Do you happen to know what I would have to change in the properties in Pronto edit to have it work?

The other dvd does not have multiple remote codes so I have to use remote code 2 on my hs2.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rsblaski,

If you are using a different code set, just re-learn the codes to the buttons in the [IR 1] and [IR 2] panels. The only codes actually used in the keyboard are: 1 through 0, 100, , , , , , and . If you already have those codes somewhere on your Pronto, you can just change the [IR 1] area to alias to them and you will be set. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mark,

I think I've got it.

I'll work on it after we get back from spending more money on Christmas and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Rick.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I re-uploaded the 1.0 and 1.0d files. I found a small cosmetic defect in the panels. There is no real change except a few of the button pictures didn't show up (a Pronto bug with the size 8,12,16 fonts and non-ASCII characters).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry everyone. I just found that the lower case "g" key was mis-programed. I have updated the files above.

You can fix the problem yourself (with Pronto Edit or Tonto) or you can re-download the files.

The fix:

1. Go to the "Lower Case" panel

2. open the properties of the "g" key

3. go to the actions tab

4. click the "Alias" button

5. click the "+" next to "HS2 Kbd" to expand the list

6. click the "+" next to "Kbd Codes" to expand the list

7. scroll down to find "g"

8. hilight "g" (make sure you have the lower case letter, not the upper case one)

9. click "OK"

10. drag the newly added alias up to the top of the action list

11. the list should read (order matters):
  • HS2 Kbd - Kbd Codes - g
  • HS2 Kbd - IR 1 - ENTER

12. done....sorry for the error.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm pretty excited about this remote idea. I was going to buy a Pronto just to do this, but noticed on the philips site that they have a "Pronto-Lite" which works on a Palm. I've got a IIIc sitting around here *with the portable keyboard* and am curious to see if I can cobble together something with these element to make it happen with a "real" keyboard.

Has anyone tried this?

-db-

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mark this is really brilliant stuff! Thank you so much - you have saved me so much time already - not to mention the huge amount of keypad wear saved also!

Brilliant!

·
Registered
19 Posts

Originally posted by mhe4

I don't know how many of you DMR-HS2 owners also use a Pronto remote, but I have made a set of "keyboard" panels to allow direct entry of letters, numbers, and symbols. You have to hunt and peck, but at least

Thanks Mark, this is great!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
David,

Two potential problems with your Palm idea. First, the IR transmit strength on the Palm is pretty weak unless you get an add-on IR Module. Second, unless the Palm version of the Pronto software is different from the one that is used with the actual remote, there is no way to assign shortcuts to trigger button actions.

Sorry to sound pessimistic about your idea. I hope I'm wrong and that it works out for you.

·
Registered
63 Posts
David,

I tried using the OmniRemote software with my Palm IIIxe. Three major problems with it :

1) As was already said, the IR beam is weak. So you have to practically stand in front of the machine, which defeats the purpose of replacing the usual remote.

2) The software is limited in that each button can only have a single macro assigned to it. So you then need a separate button for upper case and lower case.

3) There doesn't appear to be a way of assigning a keyboard press to a button, so the only way to activate an onscreen button is to click on it with the stylus. That, combined with (1) make it the most annoying way to enter text ever seen.

It really is a pity that the people who developed IR technology for laptop PCs did not put a little more flexibility into their usage (at least under windows). The IR port on my laptop is twice the power of my palm, but there is no way I know that it can be programmed to act like a TV remote.

This is also something that could probably be solved with a bit of clever firmware hacking - after all we have a pc card slot on it, into which you should be able to get more signals than just "here's my set of jpeg files. Let me view them on this $1000 photo album instead of just plugging my digital camera into the TV directly". Honestly, the PC card is wasted on this unit and i'd love to see it put to better use.

Steve

·
Registered
590 Posts
A Pronto TS1000 can be had for ~$100. Should this model work with Mark's file? If so are there any compelling reasons to buy a TSU2000 instead?

Thanks!

Robin

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Robin,

The main difference between tht TS1000/TS2000 is the amount of memory available for programming buttons and also the built-in code database. The screens I made should work just fine with a TS1000 (I think).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mark,

I never got back to you the other day regarding your keyboard.

Your suggestion on the code change worked and after editing the lower case "g" I find it much easier to label recordings and timed events.

Again, thanks a lot!

Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mark-

I am a lowly newb to this great forum. I just bought my HS2 last month and love it! I would like to buy a Pronto remote and use it like you guys have been discussing. I am on a tight budget so I will probably get a TS1000 instead of a TS2000. Have you heard from anyone having success with this earlier model? Do you know if anyone has tried using the TSU500 Neo remote with your files?

As a user of the TS2000, besides the additional memory, would you recommend to me to hold off until I can afford the TS2000?

Thanks for all your hard work and help,

Steve Crockett

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steve,

I think the main difference between the TS1000 and the TS2000 is the size of the internal code file as well as the memory space for custom codes/screens. The keyboard I made should work just fine with a TS1000. I think the NEO uses a different program than the TS series, so I don't think you can mix/match files.

Check out the site for a feature comparison:
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=524

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope everyone is enjoying their HS2 and the holiday season. I have found another minor bug in the v1.1d release of my keyboard.

The capital "U" enters into "mouse mode" after it is pressed. The fix is easy. I have updated and uploaded the file to this thread above under the name v2.0.

The fix:

1. Go to the "Upper Case" panel

2. Open the properties of the "U" key

3. Go to the actions tab

4. On the "Jump" pull down menu, change it to ""

5. Press "OK"

6. All done

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.