AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am using dipoles for my side surrounds in my 5.1.4 system and am wanting to replace these dipoles with a direct radiating speaker. Does anyone have a recommendations?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Budget?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you concerned about matching brands? If so, what are your other speakers?
I thought it wasn’t important matching surrounds to LCR? I have discontinued energy veritas 6.3 piano black finish. I’m told that dipole is a no go for a atmos setup. That’s the only reason I’m seeking direct radiating side surrounds.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I thought it wasn’t important matching surrounds to LCR? I have discontinued energy veritas 6.3 piano black finish. I’m told that dipole is a no go for a atmos setup. That’s the only reason I’m seeking direct radiating side surrounds.
It's not, but some people want/insist on matching. I also don't see why dipoles would be a no go for surrounds in a 5.1.4 setup?

KEF Q150s might fit the bill, at any rate.

Ascend Acoustics CBM 170 SE or Emotiva B1+ as well.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Revel S16

MSRP is $900 but street is in your budget.
They have neutral sound character like your Energy's.
They are a shallower speaker designed for wall mounting and are available in white or black.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Side surrounds di-poles in a 5.1 or 7.1 system makes sense. They're intended to provide ambiance (no direct signal queues). I think direct radiators are recommended with ATMOS because all speakers are used for steering and directional queues. Early surrounds channels (pre Dolby Digital (AC3)) were mono and limited in frequency response of 100Hz - 7KHz range. Now all main and surround speakers are full-range.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I currently am using dipoles for my side surrounds in my 5.1.4 system and am wanting to replace these dipoles with a direct radiating speaker. Does anyone have a recommendations?
Dipoles? Not bipoles?

If you needed dipoles in the first place, you might be best served by staying with them.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Side surrounds di-poles in a 5.1 or 7.1 system makes sense. They're intended to provide ambiance (no direct signal queues). I think direct radiators are recommended with ATMOS because all speakers are used for steering and directional queues. Early surrounds channels (pre Dolby Digital (AC3)) were mono and limited in frequency response of 100Hz - 7KHz range. Now all main and surround speakers are full-range.
It’s arrivals like these that have me second guessing side dipoles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2303329-consensus-dipoles-bipoles-dolby-atmos-also-best-ceiling-option.html?amp=1

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/can-i-use-dipole-speakers-atmos-height-speakers

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/can-i-use-dipole-speakers-714-atmos-setup

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
You really have dipoles? I have read of them being used when the surrounds are too close to the listener. A dipole has a null on its axis, which is an extreme way of dealing with proximity problems.

Do they have a switch to convert them to bipoles? (Wide dispersion, no null.)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You really have dipoles? I have read of them being used when the surrounds are too close to the listener. A dipole has a null on its axis, which is an extreme way of dealing with proximity problems.

Do they have a switch to convert them to bipoles? (Wide dispersion, no null.)
Yes they are bipole/dipole. I don’t think you can use bipoles on the side wall though.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I think there may be some confusion - You mentioned you were using the dipoles for side surrounds, but those articles are referring to using those types of speakers as Atmos speakers.

If you currently have the dipoles as surrounds, then there's no issue using them in your setup, and you wouldn't need to replace them. If you're looking for directional speakers for Atmos/Height speakers, then even something like the PSB Alpha P3s would be perfectly fine for that use.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thank you. So Im good to go with dipoles As side surrounds in a 5.1.4? Also, can I switch the side surrounds to bipole or do these speakers need to be on the rear wall to use the bipole option?

Here is a picture of my atmos/dude surrounds

(Before) These were I stalled to high and to far back so I relocated them to ear level seen in the second picture

https://i.imgur.com/h3yxfK6.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/AuUXGYg

·
Registered
28,980 Posts
So Im good to go with dipoles As side surrounds in a 5.1.4?
Yes, the simplest way to Atmos is to add height speakers to your existing set-up.
Also, can I switch the side surrounds to bipole or do these speakers need to be on the rear wall to use the bipole option?
I would switch them to bipole, to hear more sound from the speakers instead of sitting in their null. Don't forget to re-calibrate before passing judgement. If you don't like the results, switch them back. Changing their radiation pattern (dipole to bipole) doesn't require moving them to a different wall.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
Revel S16

MSRP is $900 but street is in your budget.
They have neutral sound character like your Energy's.
They are a shallower speaker designed for wall mounting and are available in white or black.
Came here to recommend these.

I would also say take a look at XTZ Sound, but you can not yet buy them in the U.S.

On a budget: ELAC Debut 4.2

If you keep what you have, use bipole mode.

·
Premium Member
12,364 Posts
Absolutely, yes.
Ummmm... NO! Dipoles are NOT recommended for 3D audio systems like Atmos, DTS:X or Auro 3D. Dipoles don't provided the needed directionality and sound localization for these types of systems. As Sanjay said, bipoles are preferred if the seating is close to the speakers or wider coverage angles are needed. Otherwise, monopoles are the best option for 3D audio.

Craig

Reactions: sigpig

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ummmm... NO! Dipoles are NOT recommended for 3D audio systems like Atmos, DTS:X or Auro 3D. Dipoles don't provided the needed directionality and sound localization for these types of systems. As Sanjay said, bipoles are preferred if the seating is close to the speakers or wider coverage angles are needed. Otherwise, monopoles are the best option for 3D audio.

Craig

I think there's some confusion here. I believe the OP is using the dipoles as his side surrounds, not as the .4 atmos speakers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts