AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greets, first time caller, long time listener.. So, I recently bought a house, and now I'm free to properly calibrate and set up my home theater. Although it's not excellent equipment, I'd like to get it set up as best as I can. The problem is, my rear speakers are direct radiating, identical to my front l & r (Cerwin Vega E-705). Research hasn't done any good, since some say to put them at the rear wall, spaced the same as fronts, and towed in a little. Others say slightly to the rear seating area 3-4ft. above ear level. I ask first before doing my own testing, simply because I'd have to mount them to the wall, so I'd like to (hopefully) avoid unneeded screwholes. Attached is a placement layout (minus surround). Thanks in advance.

Matt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah..... found that along with several other pages, and that's the problem. I was asking what people on the forum thought. So, thanks anyway...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get another set of speakers, a 7.1 receiver, and do both. :) I know it sounds a bit crass, but that's what I would do/did.

-Robb

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Quote:
some say to put them at the rear wall, spaced the same as fronts, and towed in a little.
This is how my surround backs are works well with out drawing attention to themselves. I set-up a friends HT and found that aiming them toward each other (A) really diffused the sound field. I will be trying this tonight my self. I will post my findings, and tell you what worked best for me.:D

http://dolbylabs.com/graphics/ht/Hom...0110_fig11.jpg

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I played around with the SBL & SBR placement and i found that aiming them toward each other did not work well in my set-up. Instead of the sound being defused, the imaging (panning) was gone! IT sounded more like Mono than stereo, so after listening for 2hrs that way i decided to go back to towing them inward with the exact spread as the mains. BIG deference in presentation.

Maddmatt,

I suggest you play around with all placement scenario's till you find the sound you are looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I didn't try the rear of the room because of cable length problems, so I've hung them aiming at each other. I gotta say, it sounds okay, but I feel it should sound better. I'll take your advice and move them behind when I get some free time. Are you aiming them straight ahead and toed in or are they pointed down? Thanks for your comparison Terence.

robbroy, I just bought a _house_ no way I can afford a new receiver right now :)

By the way, what's some of the best audio to test surround sound?

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
Matt,
Quote:
Others say slightly to the rear seating area 3-4ft. above ear level.
That's exactly where I would place the surrounds in a 5.1 set-up.

In my experience, placing the surrounds on the back wall yeilds strong front vs rear imaging. But it can often sound like two detached pools of sound, with little to no blending of the front and rear hemispheres.

Placing the surrounds directly to the sides allows them to blend really well with the front speakers, making it sound like a large seamless arc in the front hemisphere. But because of this blending, surround content tends to phantom image a little forward of the listening area and you hear very little activity in the rear hemisphere.

So the best results I've gotten have been with the surrounds placed on the side walls, but slightly behind the listening area. This tends to pull the surround content into the rear portion of the room while still retaining some blending with the fronts. Placing them higher than ear level allows all the listeners to be in line-of-sight of the surrounds, without anyone's head blocking the way. See the attached drawing of the ITU layout.

Good Luck,

Sanjay

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Quote:
Are you aiming them straight ahead and toed in or are they pointed down?
Yes, they blend in great with the front soundstage, by aiming them straight ahead and toed in it creates a rear soundstage. I forgot to mention that i'm running 7.1, my surrounds are on stands on the sides of the couch. The surround backs are behind the couch.

Quote:
what's some of the best audio to test surround sound?
Saving Private Ryan, Eagles HFO (dts), We Were Soldiers, Toy Story 1 & 2, Bourne Idenity, Drumline, LOTR-FOTR & TT just to name a few.:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
For surround effects, I thought the Others was fantastic. The hair would get raised on my neck when spooky things were supposed to be going on behind you.

-Robb

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Yes, The Others is a great one for surrounds as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.