AVS Forum banner
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

Direct Receiver

277 Views 7 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  DrDon
Hi,

Need some help. Sorry I'm a newbie here... I just bought HD tv but only have standard direct receiver (I believe it's an RCA 420 series.) Obviously the picture is very poor in quality. I'm really not all that interested in tivo capabilities, just a good quality, all around general receiver so that I can watch HD Sports. What is a good hd receiver, without all the bells and whistles?

Also, if I exchange the single LNB on my current dish to a 3 head LNB... will that work for HD?

Thanks,

YAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Artisn,

Sorry "service?" I subscribe to just standard direct tv with some local cable channels. I watch 99% would be sports over dvd. I have and 18" dish. .. I hope that answers you question.

YAZ
YAZ - You can't just buy the decoder box, you need to subscribe to a service - like Dish Network or Direct TV. Check and see what is available in your area and what programming they offer.
Artisn - To answer your question I subscribe to direct tv. I'm wondering about a make and model for a hd receiver?

Thanks,

YAz
... and they don't provide the decoder box?
Artisn... the catch is I'm in canada... Sorry what is a decoder box? My whole setup was donw through ebay.
YAZ...

Canada? You're not supposed to be subscribing to DirecTV in Canada.

Were you here, I'd advise you to select an HD-STB from the sticky at the top of the forum.. one that meets your needs and has the features you want. Sorry, but there really aren't any "bells and whistles" to strip out. If you pick a couple of models, you can search this forum for user threads and search the web for price and features. Each has plusses, each has minuses. There is no "best" STB in the same way there is no "best" PC. These are computers. They're going to act like them.

Next, I'd tell you to upgrade to the Phase III 3-LNB dish, since the bulk of DirecTV's HDTV programming is not on the main bird. This could also be an issue for a Canadian in the eastern provinces as the footprint for Sat C is a little weak there and the look angle for Sat B is relly low.

Doc
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.