Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening,

First off I am very greatful for finding this board. First off here is what I have:

Philips home theatre system..has s-video ports and one optical port

Was using a Terk s-video switcher and some other optical switcher

Sony TV with one S-video and two sets of rca inputs

Direct Tivo

Go dual deck VCR

RCA DVD player

I have had the direct tivo unit for a few weeks and was never really satisfied with the picture, especially against the tivo menu screens where white lines going right to left were noticeable. I was running my direct tivo and dvd player through the terk switcher and into my tv...decided to run the direct tvo s-video right to my tv because I noticed that the output on the switcher was loose. Picture seems to be ok..until I pull out the rca cables that are running from the direct tivo to the input on my vcr (so I can copy from tivo to vhs) Then the white lines are strong and in full force..I plug just one of the rca cables in and white lines go away. I called Tivo and they said that was normal..is it?

Long winded way to get to my question..is there a better switcher that would allow me to use the s-video capabilities of the direct tivo and dvd withouth aving to manually unplug one at a time? Also, I figured my home theatre system would be ideal since all of the s-video ports are there..it makes it worse. Could something be dumping back into my s-video capabilities to make the picture that way or...

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Tom

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
You could try the Sima SVS-4 http://www.simacorp.com/svs4.html but if the TIVO is outputting a bad signal, nothing will help. I find the Sima to be very good. it also does composite to S-video, it has two outputs, and it is remote controlled (so you can change from TIVO to DVD from your seat.

·
Banned
35 Posts
 http://www.svideo.com/svideoswitch.html

Use it myself - video only - with no signal degradation. Needed a box for absolutely faithful picture quality. One input is a SA Tivo, the other my DVD. Sells for about $20.

Routed my audio cables thru a Radio Shack composite RCA switcher.

Also use & like their s-video cables (which perform as well as my pricey Monster cables!).

·
Registered
21,355 Posts
Extron has what I have, a 6 in 2 out powered S-Video switcher which clearly doesn't degrade the signal and even I understand amplifies it just enough to help it! But OUCH its retail over $600. And worth every penny!

Monster Cable has a S-Video switcher retailing at

I think about $300.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.