AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Directv today to request they add Discovery HD. It is on DishNetwork..when I was in Costco I saw some of the Discovery HD programming...quite impressive. DirecTV said they had no requests for the show and when they recieved enough comments it could persuade them to add it..

Please all you HD Directv customers.........CALL!

Thanks,

Lance

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lance100
DirecTV said they had no requests for the show...
Right...

No requests that they want to hear maybe.

·
Registered
359 Posts
That's interesting. I just e-mailed them about HD in general, and received the following response:

Thank you for writing in with your interest in high definition programming. We hope to be able to offer Discovery Channel programming in high definition. However, as it is DIRECTV policy not to disclose information about upcoming programming until it is officially announced, we do not have a date when we can expect it at this time. Please continue to visit our web site at DIRECTV.com for the latest news and updates about our service. Thank you again for your time and continued support.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
What's interesting is that Chili said he asked D* about HD in general. If I am reading his post correctly, he did not ask specifically about DiscoveryHD. It's interesting they specifically noted Discovery HD in the reply.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not really. They just sent the wrong form letter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The e-mail I wrote basically said I really enjoyed the HD programming they had so far, and I hoped to see more HD channels in the near future. I did not specify which ones I wanted to see, only that I wanted more of them. My intention was to be a "voice" among their customers showing a desire for HD programming.

To be honest, I didn't expect any kind of response. Or, if I did get one, I expected it to be so generic as to be completely worthless. I personally thought the mention of DiscoveryHD was somewhat noteworthy. That's just my opinion, though. Time will tell.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilli_Dog
I personally thought the mention of DiscoveryHD was somewhat noteworthy.
Noteworthy in that they don't even take the time to read the emails. They just send out the canned response no matter what you as for.:(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Tell me again, what HD does Dish offer? I know they have DiscoveryHD. Do they have HDnet? Dish seems to be taking the lead in satellite tv, and a big lead. They just started "locals" in Des Moines, Iowa, little ole des moines, iowa...wow. I think des moines is on the directv locals list, somewhere after "Noswheresville, USA" and in 2999.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Dish doesn't have HDNet. It also has a CBS network feed, but a waiver is required to get that channel. At this point, Dish really isn't taking a "big lead" in satellite TV. Right now, the decision comes down to whether one wants HDNet or Discovery. I'd much rather have the live sports provided on HDNet.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
Dish doesn't have HDNet. It also has a CBS network feed, but a waiver is required to get that channel. At this point, Dish really isn't taking a "big lead" in satellite TV. Right now, the decision comes down to whether one wants HDNet or Discovery. I'd much rather have the live sports provided on HDNet.
No, you can get CBS from Dish if you live in any of the CBS "owned and operated" markets, which include New York; Los Angeles; Chicago; Philadelphia; San Francisco; Boston; Detroit; Dallas; Miami; Minneapolis; Denver; Pittsburgh, Pa.; Baltimore; Salt Lake City; Austin, Texas; and Green Bay, Wis. Dish is taking a big lead. They have 7 HDTV channels to DirecTVs 3, and they have developed next generation 8PSK hardware solutions that permit broadcasting more HD channels on a transponder without increasing compression.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You can't just look at how many channels Dish has. For a person living in a market with CBS OTA available, the only difference between D* and Dish is the tradeoff between HDNet and Discovery.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I disagree. With the prospect of many new HD services, e.g., Cinemax, ESPN, new HDnet channels, etc., debuting over the coming months, I look at the advantages in HD channel capacity that Dish has (both because of the wing birds at 61.5 and 148, as well as 8PSK modulation) as a huge benefit.

Also, it more than HDnet vs. Discovery. Discounting CBS, Dish also has a full time channel with PPV movies, and a demo channel.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Perhaps in the future Dish will take a big lead because of the capacity for additional channels, but at this point it's a dead heat. D* might just be that horse that goes hard for the first part of the race then fades fast. But right now, I'd much rather have D* than Dish.

·
Registered
422 Posts
This is what their reply was to my email:

Thank you for your interest in high definition programming. We hope to

be able to offer Discovery Channel programming in high definition.

However, as it is DIRECTV policy not to disclose information about

upcoming programming until it is officially announced, we do not have a

date when we can expect it at this time. Also, we do not currently

offer

broadcast networks in high definition. However, most high definition

televisions can display high definition over-the-air signals from local

broadcasters via off-air antennae. Please continue to visit our web

site

at DIRECTV.com for the latest news and updates about our service.

As you can imagine, HDTV programming is expensive to produce and is

available in a limited quantity at the moment. We are in constant

discussions with all types of program providers and will continue to

increase the number of high definition programs we offer as they become

available. Please continue to visit DIRECTV.com for news and updates.

Kate

DIRECTV Customer Service

·
Registered
556 Posts
In the interest of saving bandwidth here on avsforum so the servers will run a little faster, please use numbers in the future to refer to the repetitious and virtually content-free emails from DTV CSRs regarding HDTV. The preceding message would have appeared thus with this improved system:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricko
This is what their reply was to my email:

[#3]

Kate

DIRECTV Customer Service
p.s. If you don't agree with my idea, you can [#43] my [#87]. :eek:

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Is there anybody here willing to give me a nickel everytime somebody posts one of D*'s canned responses about Discovery or any other HD channel? With the money, I could buy myself a Dish system and subscribe to Discovery after just a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Unfortunately, I've already deleted their reply to me when I suggested that they offer all the HD channels as a separate package, which I said I would pay for, but would never pay for HBO or Showtime as I won't watch the horrid P&S on the rest of the channels (yeah, I know HBO-HD does P&S to 16:9, but at least it isn't quite as bad).

The response obviously was not completely canned, although it had some canned elements.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Back to Discovery HD, is ALL their programming in 6x9 HD (like HDnet) or just some? I would think is just "some" since what they produce and are supplied cant possibility all be in HD. Like HBOhd and SHOhd, there's a lot of p&s stuff. ???

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discovery HD is 100% 16x9 HDTV. Unlike Showtime-HD and HBO-HD, Discovery is not a mirror of the SD channel, but a separate entity, programmed entirely with high definition content.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.