AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of shifting from Comcast Expanded Basic cable to Direct but do now want to lose the flexibility I currently have with cable- the ability to record on both my Polo and 3575 at the same time while watching another program. I realize that I will possibly lose it with the CC digital shift and a need for a CC box (if CC drops the analog feed and keeps digital scrambled), so I am anticipating that and a shift to direct because it is cheaper and more selection, especially HD.

I realize that I can do this if I get the Direct dual tuner recorder (and also have it in true HD), but does anyone have their 3575 with Direct or Dish and what is your setup?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am also considering just that setup. I currently have Directv, but not HD, or a recorder. I was thinking of getting a 3575 to record onto discs, and getting the HR21-700 HDD receiver/recorder for being able to record on multiple channels at once. Anxious to hear the responses to your question.

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
You can only record what's showing on your satellite receiver, whether you're watching live or playing a recording. The DVR can of course record a second program in the background while you're watching another, but you can't watch it. Unlike cable, you can't watch anything else while transferring to the 3575 except OTA or another recording on the 3575. I have an HR20 and do all my transfers to my DVD recorder overnight. At one time I had a second receiver dedicated to my Panasonic EH75, which worked great since the EH75 had it's own guide and IR blaster to control the satellite receiver. Now that I have the HR20, I only use the DVD recorder for archiving what I really want to keep. With the HR20, I have no need for a second receiver or a HDD recorder, and got enough for my EH75 on ebay to put my kids through college ;-)

·
Registered
26 Posts
mdavej, hopefully i didn't misunderstand.... with the HR20 you can watch 1 show, while recording from another, correct?

also- what has been your experience with the HR20? i have read what seems like many horror stories on dbstalk.com about it. blank recordings, no recordings...

·
Registered
15,256 Posts
Yes, I was speaking in terms of only being able to watch what you're recording to a DVD recorder. Without considering the DVD recorder in the mix, you can do the following with the HR20 or HR21:

- Record up to 2 different channels and watch a recording of a third simultaneously

- Watch and/or record one live channel and record another simultaneously

- Pause and rewind live TV while recording another channel

On-demand is also pretty good, if you have a fast internet connection.

I have experienced 1 blank recording in the 2 years I've had the HR20, which was probably related to a power blip. Overall, I've been very happy with it. I don't mean to discount the serious problems some have had, but given the tens of thousands of HR2x's out there, problems are comparatively few. And since I use OTA for PBS HD and local weather channels, I'm glad to have the HR20.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks- your answer is what I anticipated. I think I will look at a combo, like you have, of direct and OTA antenna. My son has direct (shifted from cable) and loves it. I was able to try it out when I visited him earlier this year. It seems to be cheaper and more sections than comcast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts