AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the update mystery has been solved. Direct TV confirmed this morning, with my Sony Level II rep, that an update that Sony gave a week ago did not make it to a single box. Why? Direct TV does not have the HD-100 in it's database and therefor does not have the IRD specific information that allows the "stream" to pass the updates to the correct IRD group.

A fix? Well the Sony rep said that it might be a few days while they work with Direct TV to fix the problem.

Maybe these HD-100 boxes will be useful after all however the rep asked me in the end if I thought I had any "heat" problems with my unit. After the call, I went to my AV closet and did notice that the Sony box is the hotest thing in the closet and it is right next to a air refresh fan. Hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is a good and bad news. I am glad they finally have a fix. I am not suprise about Directv. When I first called in my HD100, the CSR said it is not in the db so they just put some generic entry. Is this Sony/Directv fault? I don't know and I really don't care. Just send me the freaking update.

------------------

CC

·
Registered
122 Posts
Great, it's up to DirecTv now... this could take a while....! Something to think about..., if dtv doesn't have the HD100 in their database and the above post says they entered it as a generic model then how will they know to send the update to your box...? Most likely everyone is going to have to call in and tell them to change it in their system to an HD100. Good that Sony seems to be on the problem, bad that it is possibly now up to DirecTv to get involved. I guess it shoudn't be that big of a deal to add a box to their data stream...??? Hope it's resolved soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So does this mean we will all have to call Directv's wonderful customer service to tell them that we have the HD100? Or will they just put up the streams like the RCA and the Sony will recognize it? I hope they have kept track of all these units as they have been activated.

Warren

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called the Sony rep back and asked about how we will be updated if we were listed as anything other than HD10. He said that they have worked out a deal with Direct TV to broadcast on the 119 sat. I then asked how that would affect those with the standard dish and his reply was, "we figure most people purchased the HD for Direct TV hd."

He then said that they have shipped fewer than 5000 units to North America authorized Sony retailers and doesn't anticipate a problem as they will notify "registered" owners on how to obtain a fix.

Wonderful!

·
Registered
739 Posts
He then said that they have shipped fewer than 5000 units to North America authorized Sony retailers and doesn't anticipate a problem as they will notify "registered" owners on how to obtain a fix.

Is it not possible that we 5000 are probably Guinea pigs? (AKA Beta Testers)

------------------

The World Is Not Flat!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
What's the consensus here? Should we wait and give Sony/DTV time to give us this update, or should we all call DTV and make them put the correct STB type in their database?

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmbatch:
What's the consensus here? Should we wait and give Sony/DTV time to give us this update, or should we all call DTV and make them put the correct STB type in their database?
I think DirecTV will figure it out...

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I don't think they need to know what kind of receiver you have to get the update. Look at the DTC100, if you hook it up to the dish and don't subscribe to DirecTV you still get the update. Samething with the sony. They probably send it out and if your receiver picks it up it knows it is for your model.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Carbo,

Does that mean that DTV just needs the HD100 in their database so it knows how to pass the information to it, and it doesn't need to know who has one?

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would think that it makes no difference who has what box in a database like that. They don't need to target /your/ STB, they just need to target HD-100's and probably need to know how to address the box with some code provided by Sony.

Dave

·
Registered
82 Posts
I called Direct TV today and they did not know what I was talking about. The HD100 is not on their system and they have not heard of anything Sony is suppose to give them.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,624 Posts
Sounds just like when the DTC-100 was waiting for updates. No one at DirecTV knew anything, until it happened. Even afterwards most CSR's didn't have a clue.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
780 Posts
Does anyone know which bugs this fix addresses?. So far I've seen reference to a bug that seems to only affect Seattle NBC viewers, not the major bugs that all of us are experiencing.

Tony

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.