AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got Direct TV service last month. I currently have the standard box connected to a HDTV (bad of course). I got it from DTV b/c it there was no upfront cost.

My question is can I purchase a HD box on Ebay and use the card from the existing standard box and receive HD signals. DTV charges $99 up front for the HD boxes and I want to get a better deal than tha.

Thanks for the help!

Scott

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoter /forum/post/18177774

I just got Direct TV service last month. I currently have the standard box connected to a HDTV (bad of course). I got it from DTV b/c it there was no upfront cost.

My question is can I purchase a HD box on Ebay and use the card from the existing standard box and receive HD signals. DTV charges $99 up front for the HD boxes and I want to get a better deal than tha.

Thanks for the help!

Scott

No. Once the card is put in play, its mated to that box forever. I guess its standard definition TV for you. $99.00 has been the cheapest starting price for HD service for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/18177832

IMO for basic HD channels, get an antenna for OTA HD, plus its free (beside the antenna).

You're assuming his TV has a built in HD tuner. He doesn't want to pay $99.00 for the STB. Do you think he'll buy the HDMI or RGB cables to pass the signal? You pay for what you get in this hobby. This thread is a waste of time if the cheapest you can get is too much.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Hoter needs to open a similar thread at DBSTalk to get it exposed to more viewers who have current, reliable information regarding DirecTVs receiver replacement policies.

Last I knew, he could use his old card in his "new", HD receiver, but he'd have to make sure that the receiver being sold on eBay was actually owned by its seller, as most receivers made during the last few years were leased to the subscriber. Before buying it, he should obtain an RID number from the seller and call it in to DirecTV, if there is any doubt.

Another thing is, probably any HD receiver for sale on eBay is an older MPEG2 receiver, whereas nearly all the HD programming is in MPEG4. I think there are only about half a dozen national cable HD channels that are still in MPEG2, and he'd have to install a new dish to get them because they are on the 110 and 119 degree satellites.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Antaltmike, you forgot to mention the new HD orbital slots for the MPEG 4 channels. The Orbital sites includes 99 and 103 degree satellites, as well. There are no more MPEG 2 HD channels anymore. DirecTV has finally phased them out, the last time I checked.

The easiest and least expensive route, is to get the installation and equip from DirecTV, unless you're adamant about purchasing your equipment. In that case, a combination of buying off Ebay (make sure you get Directv models start with H2 or HR2 for HDDVR; any number after these numbers don't matter), and getting DirecTV professional installation will be the least expensive option for you.

But like Antaltmike said, you will need to get a new dish, and DirecTV will not let go of their dishes without professional installation (installation requires extremely precise alignments to get a reliable signal for HD).

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
@ the OP,

You could've gotten an HD box no extra charge, if you ordered it for your initial install.

But that's water under the bridge, now.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike /forum/post/18177945

...probably any HD receiver for sale on eBay is an older MPEG2 receiver, whereas nearly all the HD programming is in MPEG4. I think there are only about half a dozen national cable HD channels that are still in MPEG2, and he'd have to install a new dish to get them because they are on the 110 and 119 degree satellites.

I just checked on eBay, and there are quite a few H-20 receivers for sale there cheap. They will handle the new MPEG-4, but I reiterate my warning, that any prospective buyer should demand the RID number before buying.

It is not unreasonable to demand that from the seller. I would venture that most sellers of leased receivers on eBay do not realize that they do not own the receivers that they are trying to sell.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Of course the original poster could have had an HD receiver free from Directv with the intitial install. But he wanted a better deal.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike /forum/post/18178325

I just checked on eBay, and there are quite a few H-20 receivers for sale there cheap. They will handle the new MPEG-4, but I reiterate my warning, that any prospective buyer should demand the RID number before buying.

It is not unreasonable to demand that from the seller. I would venture that most sellers of leased receivers on eBay do not realize that they do not own the receivers that they are trying to sell.

Also stay away from the H20-600. They are notorious for overheating and many have been "cooked". Even if it is still working, the receiver may have a very short life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT /forum/post/18177872

You're assuming his TV has a built in HD tuner. He doesn't want to pay $99.00 for the STB. Do you think he'll buy the HDMI or RGB cables to pass the signal? You pay for what you get in this hobby. This thread is a waste of time if the cheapest you can get is too much.

TRT, you are making too much assumption. Who said anything about being too much? HDMI cables??? I own 2 or 3 spare sets. The problem is I didn't give enough information and a couple of posters made some assumptions. I got some good info too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to those who posted useful information to help, especially AntAltMike. I will check out the dbs site you mentioned. I've been there before and completely forgot about it.

I didn't give enough info in my op. For those that mentioned, I did take advantage of the free HD DVR. I have another setup in another room in my house with a large screen and the HD DVR. The setup I'm referring to is in my living room which I think we will use maybe once or twice a month at best. That's why I originally went the cheaper route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts