AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tired of cable and prices, but cable high speed internet is ok. I want HDTV and Tivo, and will be a new customer so I want to negotiate the best deal. Looking for opinions, comments, experiences from people who get all of the above from Direct TV. How is their internet service and what equipment is needed to switch over from cable internet? I could keep basic cable and the internet service, but if I switch to everything on Direct TV, then I could just use all of the existing cables in the house for the satellite service.

Any help would be appreciated...:confused:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have DirecTiVo and HDTV, but I would stick with the cable modem if I had it. Direct's Sat. internet service doesn't stack up, and their DSL service is more expensive than cable. You may want to look at DSL, though. Check orbitsat.com for package deals on systems.

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have DirecWay for my internet service as it's the only option I have other than dial-up. It's not as fast at my AT&T broadband was (at my previous residence) but it's okay. My biggest problem is that when I connect to my work via VPN software my throughput drops from 600-800kbps to 40-50kbps. In most cases, it's faster for me to dial into work. :( AT&T didn't have this VPN restriction.

Don't have any input on TiVo or HDTV yet. I do plan to pick up a HDTV STB in the next week or two though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You should be able to get the $199 TiVo, the oval dish for cost of shipping, and maybe a credit of $100 to $150 toward an HD STB. Check out the Tivo Community forum for updates on current deals. You should be able to keep your cable modem service without subscribing to CATV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.