AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: If I am willing to become a subscriber and pay for dtv it seems to me that if this is (considered to be illegal) this is and infringement on my rights and is if fact a form of censorship. I do not agree with this and I wish to find out if there is any procedure I can follow to become a subsriber. i am willing to pay for the service and use a U.S. address if this is the only way I can do this. Is there anyone out there who can advise me on this? I have spent a considerable amount of time searching this forum and have not found any info on this topic. Hopefully I am not indulging in a taboo topic -- on my first posting on this forum. any help would be much appreciated and thank you

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts
Canadians subscribing to DirecTV are violating Canadian Law.

·
Super Moderator
19,075 Posts
However, you're welcome to move to the United States and become a citizen. If Peter Jennings can do it, so can you. You get DirecTV HDTV and no GST. The beer's a little thinner and the football field is shorter, but you keep more of what you earn and one language will get you by. I'm teasing, of course, but you would be welcome.

Doc

·
Registered
14,571 Posts
The Canadian government has always been "pro Canada" when it comes to broadcasting. The rules require X amount of time (I forget what the number is, something like 50%? Anyone know? Ken H?) of ANYTHING broadcast to be "aimed at Canada" and D* doesn't come close to 1% of anything Canadian. That is why you have Discovery Channel Canada, BBC Canada, TechTV Canada, etc.

The idea is to keep Canada from becoming the 51st state of the USA. (I bet the French in Quebec had something to do with it! :D ) So because of that, D* is not available in Canada (legally) and the pirates flourish there and any pirated D* or E* equipment from/to Canada brings such swift and harsh punishment on this side of the border (and I bet the Canadian side as well).

·
Super Moderator
19,075 Posts
Unless it's changed, Canadian radio broadcasters have to play a certain percentage of music from Canadian artists. I want to say 1 in 5 songs. Used to be 1 in 3.

Doc

·
Registered
18 Posts
> However, you're welcome to move to the United States and become a citizen. If Peter Jennings can do it, so can you.

Trust me, if it was that easy, I'd be a U.S. citizen already. :)

Peter Jennings in under a category which I'm not: popular artist, which makes it easier to get citizenship.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I want is NBA ticket finally after many years we have a Canadian that can play basketball and he comes from Victoria. I want to watch the Mavs help help Mark Cuban? somebody eh? I just like basketball I'm not trying to destroy Canadian culture. I dont like hockey --- what is wrong with me? Thank you for all the replies ---Illegal? It is illegal to have a public sign in english in quebec. It used to be illegal in your country for certain people to used public facilities or seat where they wanted in a bus. Sorry for the rant but I guess I just a little frustrated because I cant have my own way. help me I still want to subscribe Im baaad

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well if my father paid for me becoming a Canadian citizen I think you can too. I think he paid somewhere around a million or so for my mother as well since we have some friends there and he have a house in Powell River now so that is cool. I think they will do it but you have to pay a certain amount so you will not become a burdon when you are there. They don't want you to become a citizen and than start getting all your teeth and everything else done and than not work at the same time type of thing. Pretty much this isn't exactly offered to the public so too speak but if you have the money they will work with you because if you can afford that kind of money than that only assumes that they will have some money coming in without having to provide a job and such so it is a win win as far as they are concerned.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's too bad; in Europe its common for various channels from one country to be seen in other countries. We should just make a deal of "we'll show yours if you show ours". Let the Candians watch basktball, I'd rather see more hockey in HD!

Something about politics seems to make otherwise reasonable people averse to common sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.