AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved in with a roommate and he has a direct tv dish with all the premium channels/HD stuff. The receiver I have now is only standard definition and not HD; I'd like to get a 720p signal to my 42" toshiba and to do this I need a different HD receiver. I searched amazon and every one has one or two stars. So, which models do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
If I undrstand what you are asking,as far as I know now, if he has a 5lnb dish you will need a Direct TV HD receiver.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You would need a Directv HXX series for non DVR or HRXX for DVR. You can call and order through them or pick up one at an electronics place like Best Buy, they have the H21 and HR22 models on their site.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Since the current receiver and DVR models are leased only, wouldn't you still have to call up DirecTV for activation? And then wouldn't they require a new 2-year contract as part of that?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/15459766

You would need a Directv HXX series for non DVR or HRXX for DVR. You can call and order through them or pick up one at an electronics place like Best Buy, they have the H21 and HR22 models on their site.

Cool it looks like newegg carries the H21. If I do get one of these is it just a matter of plugging the coax into the receiver as sort of a plug n play type thing, or will I have to contact directtv as demonfoo says?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkar /forum/post/15460139

Cool it looks like newegg carries the H21. If I do get one of these is it just a matter of plugging the coax into the receiver as sort of a plug n play type thing...

No.

Quote:
or will I have to contact directtv as demonfoo says?

Yes. You'll also need account info; name, address, etc.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yeah you need to activate it and it will add two years to your friends contract if you are on the same account.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I currently have Direct TV H20 receiver & have an account with Direct TV. It's on its last legs, it had the same issues the previous one did, that was replaced by this one under warranty, the latest one is out of warranty. Direct TV wants $99 & $50 service call to install a new one.

I looked out on ebay & think I can probably get a used H20 or maybe even H21 for around $40-50. Is it a matter of swapping out the old box with the new, and use my current access card? Or will I need to call Direct TV and incur some sort of new fees?

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Don't get a used receiver. Direct TV will no longer activate receivers that have been activated before and switched owners.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb /forum/post/15520697

Don't get a used receiver. Direct TV will no longer activate receivers that have been activated before and switched owners.

I did not know this either. Is it because a person really does not own the receiver any more?

The only reason to buy a used receiver is if it has an ASTC tuner in it for the purpose of getting OTA HD then.

Lots of receivers for sale out there.

derkar,

If your roomate would agree, it would obviously be cheaper to add a receiver to his account. It appears you would not be able to take the receiver with you if you move out. I would push the D* CS for a free 2nd receiver and no two year committment. They seem very agreeable at times.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb /forum/post/15520697

Only partially true. If the used receiver is actually owned by the seller, then DirecTV will activate it although you will need a new card. But many of the receivers you see "for sale" on ebay are not actually owned by the "seller", they are leased boxes and are supposed to be returned to the owner who is DirecTV - and DirecTV has the right to refuse to activate these (and often does).

·
Registered
17,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit /forum/post/15524828

Only partially true. If the used receiver is actually owned by the seller, then DirecTV will activate it although you will need a new card. But many of the receivers you see "for sale" on ebay are not actually owned by the "seller", they are leased boxes and are supposed to be returned to the owner who is DirecTV - and DirecTV has the right to refuse to activate these (and often does).

If a receiver is actually owned by the seller, it probably isn't MPEG4 compatable, either. You won't be able to see most of the channels.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit /forum/post/15524828

I have several Sony HD200 and 300 receivers that I own and have tried several times to get any one of them activated. When it really came down to it I was told repeatedly by surpervisors that it didn't make any difference now whether they were owned or leased they would not be activated. I had heard the same story about them being owned. My most recent experience was with a friend whose son gave him an owned Sony HD 200 receiver and he was unable to get a new card for it. If you have had a different experience I would like to know about it.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb /forum/post/15526696

I have several Sony HD200 and 300 receivers that I own and have tried several times to get any one of them activated. When it really came down to it I was told repeatedly by surpervisors that it didn't make any difference now whether they were owned or leased they would not be activated. I had heard the same story about them being owned. My most recent experience was with a friend whose son gave him an owned Sony HD 200 receiver and he was unable to get a new card for it. If you have had a different experience I would like to know about it.

I have read alot about the getting new access cards on the forums also. I guess I am wondering if the D* policy has changed in light of D* wanting to phase out as much MPEG2 HD equipment as they can by attrition. Hence not reactivating old equipment anymore.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As recently as this past summer I asked a DirecTv service person about this. She said if I intend on buying a receiver off Ebay I should first call DirecTv with the serial number to see if it was stolen. If it was not then DirecTv will need to send me a replacement card for what I believe was $20. My best advice would be to call DirecTv and see if this is still true.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts