AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put in a direct TV HD system. The house is currently wired for cable (really bad). I have some questions of what hardware I need. I currently have 1 HD ready TV and 2 standard.

1) what hardware do I need? I assume dish, 1 hd tuner, 2 regular tuners. correct?

2) I have limited space. I need small tuners. Do I have a choice? what are the smallest.

3) Do I have to buy this equipment from direct TV or can I get it at some place like Circuit City?

4) I would prefer a DVR/tuner combo for the HD tv. what's the best one?

5) Is anything new coming out in the near future that I should wait for?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Model #s, brands, parts that I did not think of.

thanks

·
Registered
7,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfatboy /forum/post/0

Any suggestions would be helpful. Model #s, brands, parts that I did not think of.

thanks

All the info (and more!) that you want can be found on directv's website..

·
Registered
115 Posts
1. Pretty much, you got it.

2. The SD receivers D* uses are quite small. Their model is D11 and are built by several different manufacturers for D*. They are all essentially identical in operation and have only very minor aesthetic differences. The HD receivers are considerably larger, but all D* HD receivers have RF remote capability and don't need to be in a visible location.

3. There are no 3rd party D* receivers any longer. They brought all STB design in house. You can still make "purchases" from local stores, but likely most of the equipment will come from a D* installer.

4. There is only one currently available. The HR20-700 from D*. It was released late last year and is a fairly new piece of equipment, and that carries with it a few bugs. I like mine but there are many people who are displeased with it. It replaces an older tivo based HDDVR (HR10-250) which can still be purchased on ebay, but that unit lacks support for upcomping mpeg4 based HD channels.

5. D* tends not to release much information on upcoming products. There have been promises about a Home media center that would store all content in a single location and have it streamable about the house, a rackmountable HD DVR for custom installations, and an updated technology to carry all signals in the home via 1 cable. All of these should be considered vapourware until they are actually released, which I doubt seriously will be within the next year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.