Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, All

I have dishnetwork with a spare 119, is that possible i can connect the 119 direct to a Directv HD box and only receive HD channel, i don't need the other channels.

If yes, which set top box would work with this setup before i go to buy one because the place i will get the box has a no return policy and which box would you suggest (preferably with both component and RGB out but not 100% require.) ?.

has any one have this setup really running at your places? if this setup don' t work then i have to add other dish.

thanks

·
Registered
904 Posts
AFAIK, this is a fine thing to do. I'm not sure of any DirecTV HD recvrs that have both VGA(RGB) and component outs. The DTC-100 has RGB, and most of the others have component.

jake

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I think the Sony has both, I might be wrong tho.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes you can just setup a dish pointed at 119 for HDNet alone... that's what I am doing myself. The one thing you will want to do first is point the dish at 101 (have the dish 300 elevation at 5 degrees higher then what you have your dish 300 pointing at 119 for Dish Network) and see when the next software update is so you know to repoint the dish to 101 again for the software update. After seeing when the update is just point to 119 (which the elevation is the same as your Dish 300 for Dish Network HD at 119) and you are good to go! Just be sure to order DirecTV Limited which is a $7.99 fee and WELL worth it for HDNet!

If you can find a BB or CC selling a RCA DTC-100 you should be able to grab one pretty cheaply ($300-$400) brand new as they are discontinued so the store are moving them out and not requiring minimum programming.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, thanks

you mean it will work with 119 only, i can update my receiver at my work place, we have directv pointing at 101 at work place so i can update my receiver there, beside the RCA box is there any box it work with 119 only? i can get the box and have the software download at my workplace and bring it home, is there any think i have to avoid after the first initial download, it heard, that the receiver need 101 to update the guide daily, it it true? If i don't have 101 at all, would it prevent me to to receive HD on 119.

The place i will get the box has very good price, they have sony , toshiba , panasonic, mitshubishi all under $500 brand new, i can get the RCA brand new for around $350, but i don't like the RCA.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, you can update the receiver at work but remember that updates usually occur in the middle of the night so it would need to be at work at that time. It's not like the update occurs as soon as it's hooked up to the 101 orbital position. Also be sure to do the software update before activating in case there are problems so you can eliminate it being a case of older software! Also you need to hook up to the 101 position so that the receiver downloads when the next update for your receiver occurs. The receiving of update info is done all the time so you should be able to get that info on your receiver during the day.

Why don't you like the RCA? Do you just not like the brand? I'm not thrilled with the RCA brand but the RCA DTC-100 is a very solid receiver (when it has the updated software) and if you search the forum you will see loads of people who agree with me. You can even find open box DTC-100 for $250 or so and they are usually simply out on display and never plugged in and operated so they are like new anyways!

It is also true that when pointed only at 119 you will not get a updated guide as that info comes from the 101 position, but if HDNet is all you want it really doesn't matter. Just get on HDNet's list where they eMail you the next days schedule and your set!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Franks for your detail explaination, i don't like the RCA first because it doesn't have component out and it appearance.

It need the receiver with at least component out and preferably with rgb. because like the dish6000 i am connecting the component out to my rear projection TV which i use all the time(has component input only) and the RGB output for my front projector which accept VGA only. So the Sony box is on my list but heard so many problem with it. I can live with the box with component out only.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sony has VGA and component outs (as well as 2 s and 2 composite). I just got it and haven't had any problems, but I am only decoding cable. A building blocks my shot at 119.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This thread has been interesting as I have been trying to figure out how to just get the HDNet service without anything else. I prefer to suppliment my Digital Cable that way (I dont have OTA HD channels in my area).

So to make sure I understand this, I would:

1. Need to get a basic DISH Network round dish, such as the one that comes with their entry level setup

2. Get a DISH compatible reciever

3. Setup the dish initially to get the software updates from the 101 satelite

4. reaim the dish for the 119 satelite

5. Watch HDnet

What else is there, or what did I miss?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Djerum

1. A Dish or DirecTV "Round" dish works. Even a Dish 500 will work (that's what I use to get much better signal).

2. You need a DirecTVcompatible High Def receiver.

3. Dish should be aimed 5 degrees higher (at 101) then you have it aimed at 119 to get Dish or DirecTV HD at 119. And remember you aim at 101 and it will download to the receiver what date and time it will download the updated software in the future, you then reaim at 119 (dropping the elevation 5 degrees) and enjoy HDNet until the time of the upgrade then reaim back at 101 (upping the elevation 5 degrees) until update is done, then back to 119 (dropping elevation 5 degrees) and leave it there for good.

4. Read above.

5. Correct!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I am having trouble finding information about the DirectTV "limited" package on the web site. Anyone know where to find this?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I tried ordering the "limited" package from two different CSR's. Neither one knew what I was talking about.

Mark

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The DirecTV Limited is just the bare minimum that gives you barker channels and HDNet for $7.99 a month! You have to insist that they CSR gives you over to a supervisor if they don't know about the Limited package. I was lucky and got a CSR that knew what it was but others are hit or miss!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been envious of the HDNet threads, so I'm attempting to try to get HDNet using my existing hardware:

Dishnetworks 6000

Dishes pointing to the 110, 119 and 61.5 satellites

DTC100 (on loan from the office)

I currently get Dishnetworks HD - when I plug in the DTC 100, I don't get lock on the 119 satellite unless I move to transponder 25. Does this mean my 119 dish is not aligned properly?

Any suggestions? I believe the DTC100 has the latest software (although, at the office we're only using a round dish and not getting the 119 - it's got service.)

Can anyone give me the menu options necessary to get the DTC100 recognizing that I only have a signal on the 119 side?

TIA,

Roel

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
It would help to know just how you're feeding your DTC100 the 119 line from your Dish setup. Is it a direct feed from say a dual lnb at 119. Or some other way?

Also, DirecTv only uses transponders 22-32 I believe at 119 so you wont see a signal on anything lower than that.

Finally, if all you want is HDNet, well it uses transponder 25 coincidentally anyway, so it sounds like you should already be able to get it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If the DTC-100 is hooked to a cable that has a DISH switch (SW21 , SW42, Twin etc...) it won't work. You have to use the Dish500 without a switch/TWIN LNBF or a seperate Dish300 without a switch.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chewitt
Sony has VGA and component outs (as well as 2 s and 2 composite
The Panasonic has Component, RGBHV on 5 BNC's, S-Video, Composite and a pair of L/R audio (and Optical Digital Audio).

I wish it had two S-Videos like the Sony! :(

I heard that it can b got for $500 now also... sigh!

Cheers!

DAve.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
If the DTC-100 is hooked to a cable that has a DISH switch (SW21 , SW42, Twin etc...) it won't work. You have to use the Dish500 without a switch/TWIN LNBF or a seperate Dish300 without a switch.
Thats not entirely true Frank unless a DTC100 is strangely different in that regard as opposed to other DirecTv receivers.

For example, my setup consists of a Dish500 with a TWIN lnb and a dish at 61.5 for the HD. One lead from each goes into an SW21 and then it's output into my Dish 6000. While it's true that I cant just take the output from the SW21 and plug it into a DirecTv HD receiver and expect it to work (which might be what the other guy was simply doing), what I can do is take a 2 Ghz splitter and insert it between the SW21 and the 6000 and tap in with DirecTv at that point. Then as long as my 6000 is tuned to a channel on 119, 119 is also fed to my DirecTv HD receiver to allow me to watch HDNet or HBO-HD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What you mentioned was exactly how I was trying to do it. I've got the same setup as you without the 2Ghz splitter. I'll get a splitter and give it another shot sometime this week.

Thanks,

Roel

Quote:
Originally posted by DP1

Thats not entirely true Frank unless a DTC100 is strangely different in that regard as opposed to other DirecTv receivers.

For example, my setup consists of a Dish500 with a TWIN lnb and a dish at 61.5 for the HD. One lead from each goes into an SW21 and then it's output into my Dish 6000. While it's true that I cant just take the output from the SW21 and plug it into a DirecTv HD receiver and expect it to work (which might be what the other guy was simply doing), what I can do is take a 2 Ghz splitter and insert it between the SW21 and the 6000 and tap in with DirecTv at that point. Then as long as my 6000 is tuned to a channel on 119, 119 is also fed to my DirecTv HD receiver to allow me to watch HDNet or HBO-HD.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlascano
Can anyone give me the menu options necessary to get the DTC100 recognizing that I only have a signal on the 119 side?
Is your DCT-100 set for an oval dish rather than a round one? If not, you will not be able to receive any HDTV.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.