AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Direct TV website says for required hardware, a 18"x24" DIRECTV Multi-Satellite dish antenna with a Sat-C kit or an 18"x20" DIRECTV Multi-Satellite dish antenna (Triple-LNB).I have the regular oval dual dish for two separate receivers that I've had for over four years. Do I need the bigger dish or will the Sat-C kit work on my dual oval? Would it make a difference in quality to upgrade the dish or just get the triple LNB kit? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Greg

·
Registered
780 Posts
If its 4 years old and you didn't sign up for the spanish language Para Todos service, you probably have the regular 18" round dish. Does your dish have 1 LNB, or 2 side-by-side with a gap in the middle, and if 2 can you receive channel 400. If you have just 1 LNB, you need one of the new dishes, if you have 2 LNBs and can receive channel 400 then you just need the Sat-C kit.

There is no difference in reception quality between the dishes.

Tony

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply!! Well I just realized the bad news, NO I can't get ch. 400 and even though I have two receivers that can operate independent, the dish has just one LNB. So I guess I need a new dish. Hopefully I can work something out with DTV to get the dish for free or reduced. Anybody know what the triple LNB dish will run cost wise?

Thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
929 Posts
I've seen them ranging from $89-$149. I guess it's just a matter of luck. I think I've read in these forums where people would get them directly through D* for a really good price (I think you had to extend your contract though).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the help! I think I'll call DirecTV tonight and talk to the Customer Retention Dept. and see what I can get. I'll keep you posted!!!!

Greg

·
Registered
655 Posts
Make sure you get a Triple LNB with OUT a Cal Amp LNB.

They have problems in the cold weather!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just read the thread about the cold wx problems with RCA's dish and the Cal Amp LNB's, and I'm worried. How do you tell if a dish has the Cal Amp LNB's? I've read the Terk has been reliable. Anyone have experience with the triple in cold weather. I live in Kansas City so winter can get ugly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The Terk S25 has a Cal Amp. Supposedly, the Rev 1 version has corrected the cold weather problem. I have it and have no problems so far, but it hasn't gotten below 40 degrees around here lately.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My comment was to let people know about an issue.

I am aware that the problem is solved.

However, there are alot of old dishes out there.

Just be careful.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So is it safe to say, If I purchase a NEW RCA phase III dish with the Cal Amp triple LNB it should work fine in cold weather????

Greg

·
Registered
655 Posts
No - it is not safe to say!

I do not know of any rules like a part number change.

There was a part number change for Terk.

But not for RCA

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a Sony HD-SAT 200, and when I activated the new box, Directv sold me the 3 NLB dish with pro. installation for $69.99. And the new dish was installed in less than two days! So call-up Directv before you run down to Best Buy or the Good Guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by platypusman
and when I activated the new box, Directv sold me the 3 NLB dish with pro. installation for $69.99.
Well, they hosed you. :(

You should have gotten it free with free install. One threat to quit em and go to cable, and they will bend over backwards to please you.

Heck, call em up and tell em you just got an offer from your cable company and maybe you'll get a credit.

500 bucks or whatever you paid for that IRD should be enough of an investment on your part. Not to mention the extra bank for the HD channels. 4 :(

Customer Retention department. :)

Good luck.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wonder if you can get that deal if you haven't bought your HDTV/DirecTV receiver yet? Do you only get the deal when you want to activate your new receiver? Right now money wise I can afford to get the dish but need to wait awhile for the receiver. Suggestions?

Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my new HD-Sat 200 for about a week before I activated it. The day before I activated it, I called Directv to gather some information about acquiring a 3 lnb dish, and the person I spoke with at Directv did not no of any special offers. The day I activated the box, I told the rep. at Directv that I needed the 3 lnb dish, and he told me that they would send an installer out with the dish for $49.95, after tax and shipping the price was less than $70.00. So, maybe you do have to activate the box to get the deal.

P.S. I don’t mind paying the $70.00. Directv has always done right by me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.