AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cable TV And internet now and am thinking of going with Direct TV. I'd like to keep my cable internet though but is that possible? Can my cable lines in my walls run both Direct TV and cable internet? In my 1 room where my internet connection would be, my cable modem is plugged directly into the cable outlet in there, and I was hoping to have a TV with Direct TV in there as well, both hooked up to the same outlet with a splitter for the 2 different signals. What do you experts out there know about this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Yes it is - just make sure that the Direct TV tech understands that he will be required to run completely new cable and to not re-use any of the existing cable plant. Especially any branches going to your cable modem.

Do NOT attempt to share coax for the signal going to your cable modem. I cannot emphasive this enough !

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper /forum/post/15547982

Yes it is - just make sure that the Direct TV tech understands that he will be required to run completely new cable and to not re-use any of the existing cable plant. Especially any branches going to your cable modem.

Great! Thanks Scooper.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Boyce /forum/post/15548046

The down side is that the cable company will charge more for internet service if you do not also subscribe to TV.

Yes, that's something I'd been considering. But the DSL in my area is provided by qwest and I really would prefer to avoid them.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Boyce /forum/post/15548046

The down side is that the cable company will charge more for internet service if you do not also subscribe to TV.

Not true in all areas. Here Comcast charges $40/month for internet whether you have cable service or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts