AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a subscriber with DTV since 1999, using a seminal DCT100 for HD. I own two DCTs, one HR10-250 and one SD Tivo.

Today I called Direct to have one of my DCT100 units taken off the account. Very simple, our daughter has moved out and there is no reason to keep the machine running in the mostly vacant room.

DTV resets my account, and my single HD distant network, ABC, does not come back. In the Monterey Bay area, there is no ABC offer over the air. None. So my DNS waivers were automatic and we have enjoyed ABC in HD off of Direct, out of LA. Else, we don't get it in HD.

Direct refuses to reactivate, claiming they are at risk of "the government." This despite THEIR process having been the reason the channel was reset, and I was NOT advised of this prior to having the DCT100 removed from active use.

I cancelled my Direct TV subscription, 100%, and shut off all hardware. I really have enjoyed Direct, and this was the most blatant "FU" I have ever received from a long time service provider.

I requested to speak with retention, and was told that I was already speaking with retention. NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER was made to retain me. Nothing. It was like a minor annoyance to them, like this is the way it is.

THEIR process broke the channel off and now they claim the government prevents them from adding it back. Huh?

I will simply be happy with my recently heated up Series 3 Tivo and Comcast. My Direct gear will be hitting eBay is a few days.

UNREAL.

regards,

patrick

· Registered
3,653 Posts
Ummm, so you're pissed at them for following the law? They don't want to be sued to death over distants like Dish was. Thus why they didn't try to keep you, they obviously couldn't give you the channel you wanted, what's the point? They have been shutting off DNS for many people for a while now due to the law, they just hadn't gotten to you yet.

Good luck. Hope Comcast is decent in your area.

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It stuck me as odd that no offer, even gratuitous, was offered to retain my account.

Are the DNS rule so draconian that when a network is not available, AT ALL, the provider cannot provide the channel in HD?

How does this effect the MPEG 4 rollout? Would I thus not get ABC HD even if they provide that service here, which they do not?

How can the cable company provide it if Direct cannot?

So...hmmmm, yes I reserve the right to be pissed after being handled like a peon after this length of time. A simple gesture would have kept me.

I never said I was interested in law breaking.

Oh, by the way, Comcast HD exceeds DTV in quality case you haven't seen it. There really is no contest. The real issue was how little Direct cared. That's what irks me.

regards,

patrick

· Registered
3,653 Posts
FYI that HD has nothing to do with the rules, unfortunately. If your local ABC provides an SD signal, that is all that is required. If you can't get it in HD too bad.

Thank your congressperson for accepting bribes (errrr contributions) from the NAB.

· Registered
278 Posts
I despise DNS rules. I used to live in an area that somehow geographically was determined to be within an ABC channel's area. However, I didn't know a single person who was ever able to get that channel, even with expensive aerials. But, when I requested a waiver, they refused.

A friend who lived in the same area started calling DirecTV every time the ABC station denied him, and would request another letter. He did that for something like 3 months. The station finally got ticked off enough that they ignored one of his requests long enough that the waiver was automatic.

Back then, DirecTV was very helpful and would send a letter with every request he made. It's too bad they've gone the opposite direction now.

· Registered
737 Posts
I agree with the OP in that he was only modifying his account and lost his channel. Yeah...I know D* must follow the regs and all but why did this "kick in" and drop this channel. I feel for you.

T

· Registered
16 Posts
Is it too late for the OP to call back and play CSR roulette ... and possibly get some new equipment in the process as well as ABC HD, whether that be KABC or KGO? (I believe D* provides KGO as a SD signal to Monterey-Salinas without a waiver, so it would make sense that KGO-DT is provided that same way as well.)

· Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the waiver for ABC. The retention person indicated since they provided me with ABC SD, that was as much as they could provide after the 'blip" which removed the ABC HD feed. What a friendly law this is. How does anyone benefit from this?

In my mind several things happened. The person did not know of this grandfathered DNS channel, nor did he realize my area gets no ABC of any kind. When he bounced my signal to reset and remove the other receivers the remote DNS channel fell off. He found out he could not re-add it. He put me on hold for ten minutes, likely to go ask level 2, and explained the issue to me when he returned.

As I stated earlier I think this is lame. I also now understand this is according to the law. This makes it more lame. And what makes it massively lame is there was no effort of any kind to make me feel better like some programming or something. TOSS ME A BONE for 7 years of HD subscriptions?

No. "Sorry, is there anything else I can do for you?"

I'm serious, that's what was said. So that's the way it played out.

Thanks for the words of support, I do appreciate it, as I felt s*** upon.

patrick

· Registered
576 Posts
When I activated an H20 D* took away ALL my DNS HD without notice. get nothing over the air. Yet I still get all the SD DNS, go figure. They gave me the government line too when I bitched. So I went north of the border for HD.

· Registered
847 Posts
I just dropped D* as I had a similar horrible experience with their people. UNBELIEVABLE!

· Registered
5,414 Posts
First of all, sometimes I just feel like yelling "BROADCASTING IS A BUSINESS, TOO!!!!!, and has as much right to protect it's product as any WalMart or K-Mart has in putting those little "anti-shoplifting" tags in their merchandise, or putting up cameras in their stores.

However, most stations are not trying to be anal. If you really can't get any ABC via a reasonable antenna, you should be able to get a waiver, for that particular network (barring any technical things, like lack of coverage from spotbeams, etc).

In all fairness, you should be given access to the nearest local affiliate. I suggest writing (not ranting) a letter to the ABC station (or, stations) that serve your DMA, and explain the situation. Then, you could reapply for a waiver, which they would match up to your letter, and approve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.