AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mabey it is just me but the picture quality of directv has take a very noticable turn for the worse in the last week or so. Did they increase the compression of the signals again?

Local chanels and many of the other channels have always looked like crap, but now even HBO and SHO are very blocky with poor color and motion like 56K streaming web video.

I wonder why we are still being charged full price for half the pic quality! I sent them an e-mail, just wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I haven't noticed any recent change... where are you and what size set are you watching? Larger ones show the problems more, of course (I currently have a 37" CRT).... (helps to put your location in your AVS profile, especially with sat questions! :) ) [BTW, welcome to AVS!]

I also have a PIII dish with SD IRDs (Sam 75) at this moment... what's your setup?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Samsung HLN567W, which I LOVE and a Mitsubishi direct tv system Tripple LNB with high definition in Phoenix.

This TV is so good that it shows all of the flaws in the signal, but up till about a week ago it was OK... now it seems to be worse.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Yes I agree that the PQ of Directv is getting worse each week. I e-mailed them to find out what the problem was. They called and my wife told them how bad the compression has gotten. They tried to blame my equipment. When my wife brought up the fact that satellites have been moved the CSR immediately said thank you and hung up. They know what the problem is, but the question is, what are they going to do about it. Probably nothing until the next satellite goes up in 2004.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Well, it still matters where you are... many folks are having problems with 110 in the NE and SW from that sat move, and the answer appears to be now get a PIII dish. D* has no other answer.

I still haven't seen any changes in three months, so it may be more location. I agree that a great set like the DLP will definitely allow you to see all the problems that exist with overcompression! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They sent me an e-mail responce today.

Try unpluging your reciever for a few minutes to re-set it. LOL

That is their standard answer to everything.

What is a PIII dish? Sorry if this is a stupid ?

·
Banned
972 Posts
PIII Dish has all 3 LNB's Intergrated all-in one piece, and the dish is oval sized, 18 x 20

compared to the regular dish 18 round dsih which only has one LNB

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Things are not going to get any better till the new Satellite goes up. It's been delayed till February.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.