AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to put it and everybody here seems to know what's going on.

Anyway, I have 2 homes. The first in San Diego,CA the second in Sedona,AZ. Is it possible to have one Direct TV account for both houses? I currently have a Direct TV account at the San Diego house. Can I just buy another dish for the Sedona house and hook up some TV's there and pay the extra $5 a box? I would think that I would get the San Diego locals in Sedona but that is fine.

Does anybody see a logistical problem with this?

BTW-- I love my Replay TV boxes!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfatboy /forum/post/0

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to put it and everybody here seems to know what's going on.

Anyway, I have 2 homes. The first in San Diego,CA the second in Sedona,AZ. Is it possible to have one Direct TV account for both houses? I currently have a Direct TV account at the San Diego house. Can I just buy another dish for the Sedona house and hook up some TV's there and pay the extra $5 a box? I would think that I would get the San Diego locals in Sedona but that is fine.

Does anybody see a logistical problem with this?

BTW-- I love my Replay TV boxes!!!!!!!!!!

Yes it is possible. Just don't tell directv about it. Of course, you will have to install system yourself.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfatboy /forum/post/0

Would I still get the San Diego local channels?

Its ok and you can tell them about it too but you have to make one your primary residence and the other your secondary and that will determine what locals you can get on everything based on the primary.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I be correct to assume that the Sedona house would have to make a long distance call to San Diego to get the correct Guide data?

Or if Direct TV doesn't care wouldn't I just be able to set the Sedona boxes to that zip code and just get the phoenix locals?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If directv allows this (I am sceptical) you would get Phoenix locals in Phoenix. If you have to be sneaky about it then you wouldn't get any locals in Phoenix because directv would think that the receiver is in San Diego and it uses a spot beam satellite for the local channels.

Directv doesn't use the phone connection for its guide. It gets everything from the satellite. It uses the phone line to verify pay per view purchases.

-mk

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mike,

thanks for the replay. I was not thing straight about the phone line thing. I was thinking Replay

As regards to the "spot beam" tech it is now coming back to me. I remember somebody saying (when direct tv switch over serveral years ago) that a san diego box would not get san diego locals IF it were not in San Diego.

Is that what you are saying? Anybody else?

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek /forum/post/0

If directv allows this (I am sceptical) you would get Phoenix locals in Phoenix. If you have to be sneaky about it then you wouldn't get any locals in Phoenix because directv would think that the receiver is in San Diego and it uses a spot beam satellite for the local channels.

Directv doesn't use the phone connection for its guide. It gets everything from the satellite. It uses the phone line to verify pay per view purchases.

-mk

They do allow it because I just did it. I'm not saying I think it's this way it is this way. You can use a secondary residence but all your local programing will be based on your primary residence. I not only do it but I know many other people that do it with weekend homes and the like. If you call movers connection they might even do the install n/c becuae I know that has happened too.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Quote:

That stinks. It seems like they would set you up with whatever local channels are in that area. What does directv say about giving you whatever locals are in your secondary location?

-mk

It's all based on the rules and laws set forth not D* policy. The only other option would be to establish seperate accounts at each location. I am in that situation where my locals only work at one location.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:

That stinks....-mk

Well, for only $5 2nd receiver charge at the 2nd residence... it is a pretty good deal tho.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyker /forum/post/0

Well, for only $5 2nd receiver charge at the 2nd residence... it is a pretty good deal tho.

Yes, but it's the same as just adding a receiver and bringing it to your 2nd residence. Either way you don't get the local channels in you 2nd residence.

You could save $5 a month and pack a receiver and bring it to your 2nd residence. But I guess if you own 2 houses you aren't worried about saving $5 a month.

-mk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.