AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried to find a DirectTV RF receiver so that I could control the Direct TV box from another location in my home. When I contacted DirectTV they said they no longer offer just an RF receiver and that I would have to upgrade to HD to get a receiver that meets my needs. Naturally HD would cost me more $$ per month and I don't want to have to pay more. I already pay enough. Any suggestions where I could buy a RF convertor box?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Just to clear things up.....

You are looking for a DirecTV receiver, that uses an RF (not Infrared) remote control?

And, you want to stay with standard-definition, not go up to HD?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is correct. I want RF control so that I can control cable box from another room. I DO NOT want to go up to HD because it cost's more and currently I pay enough.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have used an RCA DRD 486RH for 10 years with excellent results. They are no longer in production but can be obtained used from 2000networks.com. Mine has just pooped out and Direct TV is replacing it with their newer version under my service contract. As you noted, this has the HD feature which I, likewise, will not be using. I have had some experience with this Direct TV reciever and have not been impresed by the RF feature. The signal is very weak and barely works in the same room. Part of the problem, as I see it, is the internal antenna. There is no provision for adding an external antenna at least in the earlier versions. The DRD 486RH does have provision for an external antenna. You can use the small standard antenna or a more elaborate antenna as needed. If Direct TV's RF reciever does not work out for me I will gladly buy another RCA reciever.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Just get a remote control extender. It's a 2 piece kit that has a target and an emitter (converts the i.r. pulses to r.f, and tansmits it, which is then picked up by the receiver, converts it back to i.r., and emits to the DirecTV receiver). I've been using them for 15+ years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the r22-200 rec which is rf capable and I have the rf remote, but it's weak and glitchy and irritating. Purchased an ir extender -works like a dream.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts