AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm way behind the times with my curent setup. I have a Phillips Series 2 Receiver with Tivo and and an old RCA DTC-100 HD Receiver which I use for OTA HD channels. Should I upgrade the old RCA dog to DirecTv's latest HD-DVR for $199 or should I check out something else? I plan on keeping the Phillips w/Tivo setup as the wife is already trained on Tivo but likes DirecTv. The Olympics are coming soon so I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks!

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpMan /forum/post/14312440

I'm way behind the times with my curent setup. I have a Phillips Series 2 Receiver with Tivo and and an old RCA DTC-100 HD Receiver which I use for OTA HD channels. Should I upgrade the old RCA dog to DirecTv's latest HD-DVR for $199 or should I check out something else? I plan on keeping the Phillips w/Tivo setup as the wife is already trained on Tivo but likes DirecTv. The Olympics are coming soon so I need to make a decision ASAP.

Thanks!

The RCA was a workhorse that despite it's look, had a very good picture - probably because of the RGB output and everything had a 1080 output on it.

However, it's time has come and gone. Put it out and shoot it. The quality of the newer units in their output stages more than makes up for loosing the RCA DTC-100.

Just remember, when you activate a new D* receiver, you will be locked in for another 2 years.

The new unit is not as intuitive as the TIVO, it has its quirks, but its very usable. That is your only choice for a HD DVR unless you want to wait for months and hope that the D* attachment for Windows Media comes out before the end of the year and that it works as advertised (usually not the case in the first 6-9 months of any DVR).

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
However the Tivo won't be able to get the latest MPEG-4 HD channels. May require the 5LNB dish but the CSR should be able to get you it and maybe the 5LNB dish. Thats if you have the 5 LNB dish.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn /forum/post/14376104

Are these boxes yours to keep when you pay the $199?

No - they claim that the $199 is a "subsidized" cost so you must return the STB now when service is disconnected.

At one time they were discussing people purchase their units for something like $500 to $700 "without their subsidy", but I don't think that ever materialized.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpMan /forum/post/14334740

Thanks for the info. Is the AT&T offering worth looking into? Who supplies their HD-DVR?

Motorola and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta supply the U-verse HD-DVR. All u-verse equipment is HD compatible.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvfan2005 /forum/post/14378143

Motorola and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta supply the U-verse HD-DVR. All u-verse equipment is HD compatible.

They use both? That is very strange and would be a first. I had only read about Motorola, but I guess anything might be possible.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Yes they do use both but the cisco box isn't as common as the motorola. They both use similar hardware. The Cisco box is smaller though but not by much. Only new installations get the cisco but it's very seldom. The cisco one pretty much uses the same guts as the motorola. Just in a different case.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called DirecTV on Saturday and they offered me their HD-DVR with a new dish including installation for $99! Plus a one time fee of $20 brings the total to $129 with a two year commitment. They are installing it this afternoon which I would say it pretty good service.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpMan /forum/post/14382437

I called DirecTV on Saturday and they offered me their HD-DVR with a new dish including installation for $99! Plus a one time fee of $20 brings the total to $129 with a two year commitment. They are installing it this afternoon which I would say it pretty good service.

That's pretty quick! Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DirecTv showed up today and the installers said I might not be able to pick up the two HD satellites which are located in the south west direction as one of our trees may be in the line of sight. He said a supervisor needs to come out and verify if things look OK (as he thinks everything is fine) so will know more in another day or two.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpMan /forum/post/14386313

DirecTv showed up today and the installers said I might not be able to pick up the two HD satellites which are located in the south west direction as one of our trees may be in the line of sight. He said a supervisor needs to come out and verify if things look OK (as he thinks everything is fine) so will know more in another day or two.

As of Thursday this week you won't need line of sight to the satellites at 110 and 119 (unless you have SD locals from there, or want hispanic channels) because all the HD channels from 110 and 119 are being duplicated in MPEG-4from the new DirecTV11 satellite which is at 99c. It's going to take a while before the installers really understand that. But there is a brand new dish, the Slimline 3, which does not even receive 110/119 and that is expected to become the standard dish for most people. See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=133958

The SL3 is starting to ship to installers but I have my doubts that your installers will know anything about it.

What city are you in, just to make sure your SD locals are not on 119?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The DirecTV installer showed up on Friday morning with a new Slimline Elliptical Dish, Multi Switch, and HD-DVR. It took him about 3 hours to relocate the dish to the roof of the screen porch, install the Multi Switch, and run a new line to the HD-DVR.

He cut a few corners by just hanging the Multi Switch using cable ties off and existing run of cable. I wasn't too happy about that because during a bad storm the Multi Switch could be flapping around so I mounted it to the brick wall instead.

I am very impressed with this new equipment. Watching the Olympics all weekend in 1080i was a real treat!
I guess the next step is to connect it to my network for more movies!

·
Deep Sea Sound
3,639 Posts
Sharpman,

Can you give us your thoughts on the Directv DVR compared to the Tivo? I am thinking about doing the same as you but my wife and I like the Tivo so much that we might be stuck without HD for a while. Thanks.

David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You have no HD and the Olympics are on in High Def!
As Bill Clinton use to say, "I feel your pain"

While Tivo still remains the favored format by many, the new HD-DVR (HR21) by DirecTV is an excellent product. If you're looking to put it in an audio rack, the piano black finish and blue LED lights will impress your friends. We have been using a Philips SD DVR+Plus box in the basement for about a year now as our Tivo system on that TV finally died. The menus and guides on the new HD-DVR are similar but seem to work much better and quicker then the SD DVR+Plus unit we have grown accustomed to. The new HD-DVR outputs in 480i, 480P, 720P and 1080i. The picture on our 4 year old 55" Sharp LCD is great. I connected an ethernet cable from our DSL modem/router and within 24 hours channels 1000 and up had hundreds of free programs avaiable for downloads.

After an hour or so of training my wife seems to like the new setup. She can still go back and use the Tivo setup by pressing the TV input button, but I notice she is staying more with the HD unit.

My biggest complaint is that that with Tivo, it was very easy to jump back to the starting postion when recording programs. You just needed to press the ->| button and it would jump to the end of the recording (movng to real time) and then one more press and it jumps to the point you started to record. This is a great feature!

The DirecTV Plus units don't seem to have this feature, so you have to hold down the Reverse button until it makes it all the way back to the beginning of the recording, which can take quite awhile depending on how much you have recorded. Is there a quicker way to accomplish this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts