Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just had Direct TV installed this week to a HDTV and a standard NTSC TV. The video quality displayed on the standard NTSC TV is softer and grainier than our Comcast cable. The color rendition is also "colder" and less rich (people skins are more pale, for example). Is this inherent in Direct TV, or is it the low video quality of the set top box, a Sony SAT-B65A ?

My advanced thanks to your feedback.

Regards,

Peter

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Did you adjust your TV at all?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Your mileage will vary when comparing the two sources. Where I live, D* blows cable away.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree, i think it also is a function of the size of your screen... and the STB as well, my Sony SatB55 is decent on my 36 inch tube, but on my 61" rptv, its mediocre.. but when i switched to my Hughes E86, i noticed an improvement on the RPTV...

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
I'll have to agree with the DTV side on this one. MY satellite signal through the DTC100 is better than the cable signal through the Motorola 5100. HD signals were very close but the SD signals are better on the DTC100. It's like comparing apples and oranges on this one however as someone down the street may have a slightly better or worse cable feed and there are many different combinations of receivers and monitors that all have a bearing on the final picture. Try both and see which one works best for you, but to say DTV is better than cable or vise versa can be very misleading.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave McWilliams
Your mileage will vary when comparing the two sources. Where I live, D* blows cable away.
I second that one. I just upgrade from Comcast and the picture quality is a 1000 times better not to mention I'm paying a lot less. I didn't mind cable too much when I had AT&T, but now that Comcast bought them, the service and picture quality bites the big one.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
DirecTV PQ does vary depending on the STB you're using. The Hughes GAEB0 makes NTSC D* look much better than than the local cable here. [YMMV]

Many non-HD DirecTV STBs have picture quality adjustments in the menu. Both of my Hughes non-HD STBs (model GAEB0) have PQ adjustments for brightness, contrast, color saturation, etc., as well as audio adjustments in the setup menu.

Read your owner's manual to see if yours does.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bac522
I second that one. I just upgrade from Comcast and the picture quality is a 1000 times better not to mention I'm paying a lot less. I didn't mind cable too much when I had AT&T, but now that Comcast bought them, the service and picture quality bites the big one.
Bac522,

Which NTSC STB (mfr. and model No.) do you have? I'd like to replace the Sony with it.

Best,

Peter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Clark Burk
I'll have to agree with the DTV side on this one. MY satellite signal through the DTC100 is better than the cable signal through the Motorola 5100. HD signals were very close but the SD signals are better on the DTC100. It's like comparing apples and oranges on this one however as someone down the street may have a slightly better or worse cable feed and there are many different combinations of receivers and monitors that all have a bearing on the final picture. Try both and see which one works best for you, but to say DTV is better than cable or vise versa can be very misleading.
Could you tell me who the mfr. of the model DTC100 is?

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
The DTC100 is an HD DirecTV box made by RCA.

An NTSC D* box with excellent PQ and adjustable picture settings is the Hughes GAEB0

It has DirecTV Interactive (for local weather ch 492, etc.), and RF remote option for STB control from another room.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petersinh
Bac522,

Which NTSC STB (mfr. and model No.) do you have? I'd like to replace the Sony with it.

Best,

Peter
I use the el-cheapo RCA DS4230RG. I connect to my TV using the S-Video port.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.