Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just ordered the Panny 42pwd5uy, and looking forward to receiving it big time! Anyway, I'm currently a direct tv customer, who thinks their customer service stinks. A choice in moving toward HD now if between the aggrivation and expense of buying a new dish and HD STB or switching to digital cable supplied by monmouth cablevision. Any new jersey folks out their have any opinion?

I figure that cable will be my less costly option , based on a rough cost of $850 for a new dish and decent STB. Would I need to buy a upgraded box from the cable company, or would I be supplied a box or boxes capable of receiving HD broadcasts? Thanks in advance for any assistance!:)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Cablevision doesn't offer any HD yet. And there's no target date other than "soon". Not exactly an upgrade in customer service from DirecTV to Cablevision as many here will corroborate.

Good Luck

Rich

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you think Directv is bad you will be in for a surprise with Cablevision. I had their service for 4 years. My summary, POOR picture quality, NON-EXISTENT customer service, and I would lose the signal often for NO reason.

With Directv, I have better picture quality, and my signal has only gone out once or twice (Due to EXTREME weather). Regular bad weather has never been a problem. Plus DTV sent me a new oval dish INSTALLED for $60. And if you saw how high this thing is up on my roof you would know it is a deal.

·
Registered
923 Posts
You are making a BIG mistake if you think CableVision will be better than DirecTV!! Their IO digital service is plagued with problems and unhappy customers.

It is is advertised as a digital service but it has MORE analog signals than digital!! From what I have read they also compress the signal more than DirecTV, making any action flick look like a casper the ghost episode.

Their IO decoder box is also not compatible with the 3000 series ReplayTV. The IR codes are not supported, so you cannot change a channel making Replay useless.

I was a CableVision customer and now only use their Internet service. Their picture qualtity stinks compared to DirecTV. Their Internet service is down more than you think and customer service never has a clue as to why and when it will be back up. For example their mail server is down again, and it's a weekly occurance!!!

·
Registered
429 Posts
[sarcasm]Good thing they're not a monopoly, huh?[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I hate to break it to you Cablevision's customer service is horrible when I moved to the Freehold area 8 years ago I ordered cable and was very disappointed with the quality of the picture and customer service.

After about a year I got rid of cable and purchased a DirecTv system and have been 95% happy ever since I will say that from time to time DirecTv's customer service does leave a bad taste in my mouth but.. the trade off is worth it to me

I think someone may have mentioned this but Cablevision does not offer high definition service in Mounmouth county. Dont forget that there are also OTA possibilities for digital reception in addition to going the DirecTv route.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.