AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a family room which is very bright during the day. What are your experiences in watching tv in a bright room with a tube tv versus a projection tv. I know the old projection tv's were dimmer, but I have heard that the newer projection tv's have gotten a lot better. Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
A Samsung 65" QLED UHD TV... Onkyo AV Receiver... Polk Audio Surround Sound Speakers...
1,182 Posts
If you decide on a front projection system and the room is bright, then just make sure you get one that has at least 1200 ANSI LUMENS, so that you can watch it in the daytime.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have a Toshiba 65" widescreen rear projection that I sit 9' from. I find 4x3 and anything smaller than 65" to not really be as enjoyable. My TV room can be bright but it is never a problem unless the sun actually shines on the TV, then it is annoying but still watchable. This is the same as with my old direct view 25".

Rick R

·
Registered
411 Posts
lisle,

There are great choices out there now in the way of displays. Don't forget to consider plasma. You may wish to check a few of the threads in the AVS forum for plasmas. I have had a Pioneer Elite RPTV which has been great. I now have a 42" Panasonic plasma that is incredible with ambient light. Mine is mounted on a wall in a room with 3 sliding glass doors and two windows, one which is 17 ' high. Progressive scan dvd picture is excellent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The newer projection sets have gotten better at having a wider angle of view. Nevertheless, the vertical angle has not changed a lot. If you are going to be watching it standing up, then a direct view set is much better.

We have the TV in the family room wich is open to the kitchen and it is not unusual to have one of us standing in the kitchen while the rest are seating. We've got a Toshiba 34hf81, which is a 34" widescreen direct view set.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.