AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. This may sound silly, but, I'm doing a test on my 19" Directview to see how long it takes for a stationary image to burn into the screen. I popped in Automobili Lamborgini in my N64, named myself BURN IN and did a single race. Of course, I got first place. :D It showed my the menu of who got first place and who everybody else ranked. Well, after that, I left that image on the screen. I gotta fan blowing on the N64 so it don't get too hot. So far, it's been on for 13 hours straight with that some image, and I haven't got any trace of burn in. I keep checking by turning it off. I'm just wondering. How long will it take before I can see just a "HINT" of burn in?

BTW, we got this TV brand new for my grandma to use in her bedroom. Paid about $100 bucks for it. She used to leave it on constantly. Almost all day and ALL night. Then she died and I got her TV, since the other 19 inch in my bedroom went bad. If I get any burn in, I ain't gonna let it bother me. I'm sure it'll fade after a while of use. I got the brightness and contrast up full blast. I got the sharpness up higher, and the color is fullblast.

Just want an idea how long it may take.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ken

The much-feared "burn-in" is largely a problem on CRT projection sets. Projection sets run their CRT's at very high levels to get sufficient light onto the screen. If you have the brightness and contrast set to normal levels it will take months to see any detectable "burn-in." In short, don't worry about it!

Bill

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know CRT Projection sets have more problems with burn in, but I've seen Direct View tubes with burn in too. Like the arcade machines. I know TVs have improved to help prevent some burn in, but, a Direct View has got to have SOME burn in. I realize Burn In is too much of an issue. My uncle hadda 53" Standard RPTV and he would leave his DVD player on pause and leave it. He left it on pause, drove about 80 miles to our place, visited, and I went back to his house with him. But, that image didn't burn in. That TV wasn't very bright any way. The picture was very greenish and lacked a lot of blue. So, right there, it was basically on it's last leg. My brother came with us and we hooked our N64 up to it. Picture quality was great, to him, and it's cool to have a game on a screen that big. But, there was no burn in from the still images after that. Later, the TV went capoot and he bought a 55" 4x3 HDTV. I watched 4 2.35:1 movies on it in a row the last time I was over there and there was no burn in at all. Must take a lot longer than that. So, burnin, IMO, isn't really much of a problem. Keep the contrast low, but high enough so you can see it good, and alternate between different aspect ratios. I, for one, would never use the stretch mode if I get a widescreen TV and watch 4x3 material on it. I'm a firm believer of OAR. And I don't want short and fat people on my TV. A 16x9 display with gray bars on the side should work just fine.

Like I said, I'm not very worried about burn in at all. But, I just wanna see how long it'll take for my 19" to show ANY signs of burn in. So far, it's been 15 hours. The screen, if you touch it, is just barely warm. I'll let it go for maybe another day or so and see what I get.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to turn it off. My brother was wondering what I was doing. And he wanted to play a little N64. I checked for burnin. Not a trace of it. And let him play. Guess it could take up to weeks or maybe months for a directview to burn in. I was just curious to see what would happen.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
So far I know of only 1 member that burned a 4:3 image on his RCA F-38310, he was at wits end I said put the F-38 in full see if the burn in can be seen, he yes but it's just farther apart I said call who ever you bought if off and get the tube replaced; he said I should have taken your advice the warranty won't cover it. I never heard from him again he is not on the forum anymore.

The reason I told him not to keep the image in the 4:3 format as it is not covered in the warranty. I know he feels bad because he was given good advice and scoffed at burn in. Ken what the other avs member said is true, it's easier to burn a RPTV than a direct TV. Your 19 inch will be okay. Have a nice weekend.:)

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
On modern CRT sets at normal contrast levels, it might take years to burnin. I would think you would change the display at least once a year. Old arcade games never changed the display so thats a different situation.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I do feel better about the DVD VIDEO logo my Apex DVD player displays on the TV, even when playing a CD. The screensaver don't kick on when playing an audio or MP3 CD. TV's a piece of crap anyway, so, I don't care if it burns in. I kinda wanna go with an LCD Rear Projection or a Direct View LCD. Or DLP. Something that ain't gonna fade over time. When we get a TV, we use it until it don't come on anymore. We had a Philco, the kind with the old gray tube, and after a while, the picture was very very dark. In order to watch it, you hadda be in complete darkness. So, we try to make a TV last as long as possible. I kinda don't want another Direct View TV. I don't really want anything that uses CRTs. Basically because the calibration and geometry settings on those can be a PITA. I know that with Computer monitors. I have a 17" Dell Trinitron, not flat screen, and I still can't get the image perfect from edge to edge. Flat screen tubes are probably better. But something like an LCD, plasma, or DLP would be the best choice, IMO. I'm mostly aiming towards LCD or DLP. Somebody said LCDs can have burn in too. Like, stuck pixals, but, it's not as bad as CRT Projection sets and plasma. I'll do some more research and play around in the electronic stores and try to decide what I want FOR SURE in the near future.

Thanks for your input. Just was curious about Direct View burnin. I like to experiment at times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 16:9 RPTV showed signs of 4:3 burn-in, most noticeable as pinkish in areas that should've been white. The set had three levels of grey for the side "black bars." I'd started running them at the lowest level (black) after a couple of years. Before that I'd always run them bright, or enable a stretch mode to even the wear. It didn't take long for the burn-in to become evident, but by then I wasn't overly concerned, and played games with increased contrast & brightness. Sometimes those RPTVs need to be cranked up to see the dark details in those video games. :D I'm now considering an LCD RPTV for just that reason- no burn-in. The reports of poor SD PQ on the LCD has me thinking wait on a new RPTV and go with a cheap 36" tube for now. Perhaps integrated HDTV tuners will be better integrated in the next generation sets.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Garrison
I do feel better about the DVD VIDEO logo my Apex DVD player displays on the TV, even when playing a CD.
Try turning the screen off when playing audio only. And if you can't do that, store two different screen settings in the TV, one of which is black, or just turn down the brightness all the way for audio only and turn it back up to normal to watch stuff again.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked at a 40" Panasonic LCD RPTV over at Sears one day. I tried it with Shrek, after I made the guy get the WIDESCREEN version, and the quality looked pretty damn good. I've read some reviews on this TV and some people said that the blacks looked kinda purplish. I didn't really notice that. It still looked good. So, when I get $3000 bucks, I'm gonna get that TV. Maybe the 45" version. 40" oughtta be plenty for our living room.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ken, please consider saving for one of the Sony Grand Wega RP LCDs instead. The new ones have better blacks and shadow detail than the Panny by a pretty good margin. (Yes, it IS true about the Panny purple, I find the Panny LCD deep shadow very blue, and the poor shadow detail caused me to scratch it completely off my list.)

Unless all you intend to watch are animated films, don't use Shrek or Monsters Inc. to evaluate an LCD screen. Take along a live action DVD of something with lots of variation in light and dark - LOTR, Blade Runner, or if you really want to torture a display, pop in Dark City.

Animated films look great on virtually *all* digital televisions. IMO they are not useful for sorting out the OK PQ from the good PQ from the excellent PQ.

I do agree with you, however, that fixed pixel is very seductive. Just be careful and don't miss the forest for the trees. 3K is 3K. Get the best you can for the $$$$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.