AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a direct-view hdtv ready set (I would go projection, but I do not have the space).

Cost, unfortunately, IS an issue, I can't blow the farm on the TV.

I am interested in recommendations on either 32" 4:3 aspect sets, or 30-34" 16:9 sets.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Graham

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think you'll find projection sets will be cheaper than direct-view.

I have the Sony KV-36XBR400, which was recently replaced by the XBR450. I got it for $2000, the 450 will cost around $2500.

For that kind of money you can get many Larger (and quite a bit LIGHTER) Projection sets.

EX:

RCA MM52110 (4x3)

Panasonic 47" (16x9)

Many Toshiba and Hitachi sets for less than $2000.

The sony has a incredible picture in true HD, the better the signal the better the picture.

If I had to do it again I'm not sure which I would get.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Look at the Panasonic PT-47wx49. It is a 47" RPTV you can buy for about $1500. It is 48 x 43 x 24. I do not think you can get a direct view for less. After the set is broken in get it ISF calibrated and you will have a dynamite set!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I really don't think I can go RPTV just due to size considerations in my TV room. I MIGHT look at a 40" tabletop RPTV, but those are few and far between.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Graham

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hitachi 32UDX10S was $1199 recently at CC. Too good to pass up, imo. (so I bought it)

check this site for info on both the 32 and 36 inch models.

The Hitachi 32 and 36 inch models fit in my 35 1/4 inch space. And so will the Panasonic 32HX41.. but it's about $300-400 more.

There was a long thread not long ago that discussed last year's 36" model... 36SDX01S. You might do a search on that and get some good info. It influenced my purchase.

For ~$2500, you could get the Panasonic 34wx50 16:9 DV HDTV. I would have liked that one myself, but couldn't justify the price difference.. especially considering what that much $$ would buy in an RPTV. ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
For direct view/tube HDTVs in 16:9 there are a few options. There are a couple brands of 34" in the $2500 range. Brands like Phillips, Sampo, Hitachi, a couple others. Then there is the Sony KD34XBR2. It costs as much as a barn for your farm; $4000. But it's the best of this bunch.

The RCA 38" is now being discontinued so you can find it discounted for as low as $1800. It's not a flat screen and some people find the gray bars for NTSC mode annoying, so consider that. There are stories of good units and really bad ones; the quality seems to vary. If go for this baby make sure you can easily return or exchange it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just bought an RCA 36" 4:3 set and I am very happy with it. They are being closed out for less than a grand many places, including some Radio Shack's.

I've had mine for a week and can't find anything I dislike about it, except that mine does not have a line doubler (some versions do). As I am mostly watching the output of my HD DBS boxes, it isn't a big issue for me and the price was right.

Now I have to upgrade my audio system to go with the new video.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
JeffGoos,

I was not aware that the 38" RCA set was being discontinued. If I may ask, where did you here this? For $1800 this set would be difficult to pass up (execellent picture and built in tuner).

Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Nobody's mentioned the Princeton AF3.0HD 30" DV monitor. You can do a search and find plenty of reviews; I don't ever think I've seen a "bad" review of this monitor (I know I'm happy).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I recently purchased the 38" RCA (F38310JX4) from Sears for $1977 (pricematch). I will be returning this set due to the stupid grey bars on 4x3 material. (Anyone at RCA listening). Sears is very accommodating in this regard.

On the plus side, this set is awesome at displaying high def and DVD material. I wish RCA would re-release this set as a monitor.

The set has a lot of quirks, but the only one I could not live with was the grey bars. The grey bars are extra annoying because they highlight geometry and color purity problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.