AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Well, depends...

Since RP and DV are availible in diffrent sizes with very little overlap ( any? ) I don't see how this question works.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree and that's why I'll refrain from voting.

Largest 16:9 direct view tube is 34". Entry level RPTV is 40".

Yet even with size aside you have to further qualify the question. An RPTV has the "potential" for a quantifiably better picture if a set of conditions are met (including calibration and even replacement of the screen that comes with most models). Conversely, a direct view tube offers a "good" picture with little intervention at all.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Don't forget the poll has no information on SDTV or HDTV, 4:3/16:9, best for cable, dvd's, vhs or HD materal, viewing distance, viewing environment, or a thousand other distinctions that make a diffrence.

·
Registered
904 Posts
it's tough to say, I haven't seen either model and it's difficult to make it through the marketing in the descriptions. It seems that the panasonic has a film mode detection for proper 3:2 pulldown correction of film-based sources. There is no mention on either set whether they handle progressive-scan inputs or ATSC-HD (probably not available in UAE, right?).

My bet would be that the sony is better out of the box, the XBRs can be very nice and I think direct view tends to do better with black levels, brightness, and contrast. But, the panasonic is a bit bigger and can probably be calibrated to produce an outstanding picture. Also, the large tube sets are usually very heavy and awkward to deal with.

What will you be using the TV for usually? Movies, TV, HD? do you want to consider 16:9 sets? Do you have light control in your room?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both support progressive scan.

Secondly, I'll be sitting only about 8-10 feet from where the screen will be. I don't want to get a 16:9 TV right now because I do a lot of gaming and many games are still 4:3. Yes, my room is light controled. I'll be watching DVDs and playing console games with the TV.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Gaming? Why didn't you mention that.

Direct View as it's much less sussepatble to burn in.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but right now I want to know which offers better picture quality (mainly DVD picture quality).

·
Registered
904 Posts
The tube TV will probably produce the best picture. It's difficult to say without being able to compare the two, but I would probably buy the projection TV. I think the slight loss in quality wouldn't be worth the smaller screen and awkwardness of a big heavy tube TV.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I basically want excellent brightness, sharpness, accurate colors, and black blacks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.