Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I posted this in RPTV also, but figgure I will also post here for this bias! :)

I know that quite a few folks here have the RCA, and I wanted to know specifically about your feelings on that set in this setting. It might be great for your home use, but not such a strong choice for a bar or visa versa.. that kind of thing.. Thanks for all of your great help...

Hope turkey day was delicious for all. As some have seen and commented on my previous post, I will not be long winded here. I just wanted to gather a few opinions on Direct View vs RPTV in a sports bar setting. This bar has lots of windows and I will need to be creative when it comes to eliminating glare. That said, I am still up in the air about my medium sized screens. I have 32" HDTV Sammys scattered about for general viewing. I am going with a 50 or 60" Plasma for the wow factor, hanging in the front of the main seating area. That leaves me with a need for 4 to 8 middle sized screens. I am looking at a 42" Toshiba RPTV (but am open to suggestions) and the RCA 38" wide screen direct view. Any opinions on the pros and cons of these two units would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well one thing I hate about going into some sports bars...RPTV sucks when you aren't looking from the right angle. Direct view would be better, but you will pick up some nast reflections with the RCA as the screen is somewhat convex (bulbous).

You might want to consider the new 42" plasmas from gateway. Only $3k and will take up very little space, really give your bar that contemporary feel and that you invest in your clientele. Then again it could send you to the poor house. ;)

The RCA could be a good buy for you...each having a DirecTV tuner built in, which I am sure you get stellite...I hope DirecTV. ;) And you will have HDTV built in as well, which could be nice as more and more sports games are broadcast in HDTV. And the prices on the RCA are quite low..so you could really get yourself a deal...now if only there weren't so many complaints about the units... :confused:

·
Registered
634 Posts
The RCA is really hard to beat for the money, especially if you're in an area with good OTA HD, since it has built in tuners. I've had one for 3 months and am very happy.

As exsilio said, the RPTV has really narrow vertical viewing angle.

You might think about FPTV, in spite of the windows. Put a 2000+ lumen PJ, like the Sanyo PLV70 on a 6' D screen (the darkest gray you can find),put it in the darkest part of the bar, tune it appropriately (sports don't need real high CRs), and it should look pretty good. The picture will be washed out somewhet, but "glare" won't be an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.