AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched all the forums and can not find the answer I am looking for.

I have owned the 34" 16x9 Panasonic Tau Direct View set for about a year. I feed it a progessve DVD and HD with a DISH 6000. I love the PQ on this set.

As with all things, we want bigger so I went looking at 43" to 47" RPTV's.

I found a store that had the 46" Mits,43" Hitachi and 47" Panny all being fed by DISH's HD demo channel.

Of the three sets, I liked the Mits the best but here is my question/dilemma.

I went home and watched the DISH HD demo channel on my Panny Direct View and realized that I was seeing much more detail than on the RPTV's I just looked at.

Example: In the baseball segment, I can read the letters on the Hardee's sign on my Panny but I could not on any of the 3 RPTV's.

I thought Projection TV's were supposed to have better detail ie. more pixels than Direct Views? Am I missing something here? Are these 3 TV's just lousy sets?

I realize that the BIG projection TV's with 9" guns would be better but I am not looking for a mega sized TV.

Sure would appeciate any thoughts/feedback/advice.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Joe,

the sets on display are most likely not calibrated. After a set is calibrated, there can be a dramatic difference in picture quality. I myself would recommend the Mits. I have two of their sets (wt-46809 and ws-65907) and I could not be happier. Out of the box the sets looked horrible. I have invested a lot of time calibrating these sets and the end result is incredible. Everyone on here has their own opinions on which set (manufact.) is better. Each set has its good and bad.

With a Mits, they can be tweaked rather well, you get a promise in writing from Mits that your set will be compatable with new technology and be upgradable, and one hell of a set. You will not be disappointed. I picked up my wt-46809 for 1800 at Tweeter last month. For that price you cant go wrong.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kipp,

Thanks for a reply.

One question for you - do you watch HD (like from DISH or Directv) on your Mits's or just DVD's?

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Joe,

I watch all, regular broadcast, ota hd, sat (direct tv) hd via RCA dtc-100, dvd via Toshiba sd-9200 and my receiver is a Pioneer vsx35-tx. I hope you can see that I am not hung up on one manfact. here. I picked out what was in my opinion best and what had the features I preferred. Cost was not a factor.

------------------

Kipp

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kipp,

Your answers were very useful to me. I did go back to the store and fiddled with the settings and saw that they were out of wack.

I now have a 46809 being delivered to my house tomorrow morning http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks much for your inputs,

Joe

·
Registered
152 Posts
Joe, did you get your 46809 yet? Have you had a chance to connect the DISH 6000 to it yet to see if you can make out the letters on the Hardee's sign? I'd be real curious as I'm in the same situation you were- I've got a 34" 16x9 and would like a bigger set.

Also, I was wondering if you could do me a big favor. Can you figure out at what view angle (vertical) the picture starts to darken? My other problem is that I need to set it on a ledge that is 3.5 feet off the ground. I will be sitting 12' from the TV so I'm hoping my viewing angle will be small enough to keep a bright picture. At 12' with the top of the screen 45" above eye level, the angle is about 17.5 inches. Is this too big?

Thanks in advance

p.s. I tried to do it myself at a local distributor, but the there was too much reflections from the lights.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hoops2:
Joe, did you get your 46809 yet? Have you had a chance to connect the DISH 6000 to it yet to see if you can make out the letters on the Hardee's sign? I'd be real curious as I'm in the same situation you were- I've got a 34" 16x9 and would like a bigger set.

Also, I was wondering if you could do me a big favor. Can you figure out at what view angle (vertical) the picture starts to darken? My other problem is that I need to set it on a ledge that is 3.5 feet off the ground. I will be sitting 12' from the TV so I'm hoping my viewing angle will be small enough to keep a bright picture. At 12' with the top of the screen 45" above eye level, the angle is about 17.5 inches. Is this too big?

I did end up buying the 46809 and OOTB, I was very disapointed. I went into the 64pt convergence and found that this puppy is way out of wack. I did a convergence on it and I am now very happy with my purchase but it still does not seem as sharp as my Panny Direct view. I do LOVE that big picture though http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I am convinced (from reading on ***************) that these things need professional calibration and the advice I got was to wait until the TV is burned in (they say about 100 hours of use.

Regarding height. I found that to be VERY critical, both for brightness and clarity. When I bought it, I refused to pay that $300 for the matching stand so I put it on a heavy duty coffee table that is 18" high.

That is still too high. It needs to be lower and the matching stand is 12" high which will put the picture at the perfect height when watching from 8' away.

I am NOT good with carpentry (I sure got a lot of ideas from the home theater spot though) so I broke down and have the stand ordered. It was backordered and should be in the first week or so of September.

My suggestion would be to go to the Mits section of the home theater spot and ask and read. They are LOADED with good info. Some are trying to figure out for me how to take that darn Glare screen off,for example.

Check out: http://www.***************.com

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Joe,

My 46809 was way out of whack when I received it. I expected it to be and already knew what I had to do with the experiences I had with my 65907. My convergence was off by far. A few tweaks I would recommend would be to adjust the overscan and get the red push attenuator (radio shack). The elimination of the red push is a must tweak. Also do the Avia or Video Essentials dvd tweaks (ie: contrast, brightness ect.) these tweaks will really help you dial in the picture. I have done almost every tweak from the "Spot" and the end results are incredible. Some may say that doing all these tweaks to a new set is a drawback. I look at it as being able to customize my set to whats best for me. I would rather have the options instead of just getting what the worker on the assembly line setup. It could of been a hung over Monday morning for the assembly worker! Let us know your end results are.

By the way, to get into your service menu on the 46809 hit menu then 0157 or 0159 depending on where you want to go. Check the "Spot" for more details. Be careful though. Write down the existing settings before changing anything! This way you can always put things back to how they were. Also you will have to do a convergence after any changes every time.

------------------

Kipp

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.