AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that you normally can't tell where exactly the sound from a subwoofer comes from. Yet there are "directional" subwoofers, meaning that you should set it up facing where the audience will be. That confuses me a bit. I'm interested in a subwoofer that diffuses its sound in such a way that it kind of envelops you, making it very hard to pinpoint where the sub is actually located (in my case it will sit in a corner about 8 feet from the couch). I'd appreciate any comments on this. Also, any recommendations (below $150. if possible)? Thank you.

·
Registered
802 Posts
What you are calling directional is just front firing. Turn the driver into the wall if you want (leave 3-6" though) and the sound won't change much, if at all.

Not much decent in the $150 range. Would be really tight, but with some deal hunting and scrounging you could build a decent sub for that much money.

Otherwise you'll have to look at used on Ebay or you might get the Sony WM40 or AudioSource SW15 for around that.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
If you're on a budget, buy TWO cheap subs. Cheap subs are easy to pinpoint because they're so laden with distortion. If you have two and set them near your speakers, they'll be less noticeable. Find subs that have been scratched, dented, kicked, but still work. But buy two. I've only heard a few subs over $1K that managed to "disappear" pretty well. At $150, you're pissing in the wind. Also, keep them out of corners!!!! That just makes them boomier and easier to locate!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.