AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antennaweb is showing all-needed stations as yellow (~27 miles)--I think their a tad optimistic, mainly because of hills and trees, but close. (Molalla, Oregon [in town]).

All needed/wanted channels are from 326 to 328 degrees, so am looking for a directional, aesthetically reasonable antenna (FM 343 to 347 degrees). My research thus far has pointed me to the:

Channel Master CM-2018 (optimized for channels 7-51) -- is this overkill? I want as small as possible.

Do you think that this is a good fit? If it doesn't support FM, I'll probably get a dedicated FM antenna.

Finally, can I mount this type of antenna to an existing Dish-Network base (I sure hope so)?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Lookings at your tvfool results, you will have three high vhf stations (ch 7, 8, and 10) and one low vhf (ch 5) after the transition. How interested are you in receiving KRCW (ch 5). Low vhf channels greatly increase the length and width of the antenna. You have very high signal strengths. The CM 2018 would be a good choice (if you're not interested in KRCW). I'd also give the Winegard 7694 antenna some consideration.

Both of these antennas are probably too large to attach to a Dish satellite mount. The EZ HD antenna may also work in your case and it's designed to attach to a satellite mount. FM is in the low vhf range. Better to get a separate antenna for FM reception.

·
Banned
751 Posts
I have a channel 6 in my area, so I bought a CM4228 which covers channels 7 to 51, plus a Yagi tuned to channel 6.

If you want channel 5, I'd recommend doing something similar: A generic wideband 7-51 antenna plus a tuned yagi for 5.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
He has no interest in 7 or 5. Because they're simulcasts of 10 and 33, respectively.

- Trip

·
Registered
17,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15527708

Where did you find these data Tripp? Thanks!

Go look at my website.

KRCW-LD is not listed because it's not on the air (it's a flash-cut) but the analog repeats the full-powered KRCW.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks Trip! I am interested in a new post transistion channel... I'm at zip code 83402 The channel of interest is: 950306KF I have no idea what will be on this channel... How do I find out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15527782

Thanks Trip! I am interested in a new post transistion channel... I'm at zip code 83402 The channel of interest is: 950306KF I have no idea what will be on this channel... How do I find out?

Thanks!

I wish I could tell you. The permit has been 'tolled' which means it's been frozen until some kind of legal action takes place. Stations in such situations usually get sold, so there's no telling what will happen to it. There's even a good chance the permit could be just canceled.

Out of raw curiosity, what kind of equipment do you use to watch DTV?

- Trip

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I primarily use cable but have an attic antenna for OTA. The antenna is a mclapp 10x9.5 DIY 4-bay with a 3' by 3' reflector. I can get all of our local DT stations. Antenna is aimed at 230 degrees and picks up stations from 270 degrees and 200 degrees.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15527978

I primarily use cable but have an attic antenna for OTA. The antenna is a mclapp 10x9.5 DIY 4-bay with a 3' by 3' reflector. I can get all of our local DT stations. Antenna is aimed at 230 degrees and picks up stations from 270 degrees and 200 degrees.

I was trying to figure out if you have a computer card.

- Trip

·
Registered
17,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15528034

Yes, I have the antenna connected to two tvs and a hauppauge HVR 1600. Very nice recordings in HD!

I'm about to send you a PM, before I drag this too much further off topic.

- Trip

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15527306

Low vhf channels greatly increase the length and width of the antenna. You have very high signal strengths. The CM 2018 would be a good choice ... I'd also give the Winegard 7694 antenna some consideration.

Both of these antennas are probably too large to attach to a Dish satellite mount. The EZ HD antenna may also work in your case and it's designed to attach to a satellite mount. FM is in the low vhf range. Better to get a separate antenna for FM reception.

How about a smaller CM2016 w/ Preamp instead?

Like this guy did and he's ~60 miles out:
hdtvexpert.com/pages_c/DTVtransition.html

[not convinced on the EZ HD]

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
It's usually better to get a bigger antenna and not have to use a pre-amp at all, if possible. Where you do need a pre-amp - it should only be enough to make up for cabling losses.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyDog /forum/post/15540781

How about a smaller CM2016 w/ Preamp instead?

Like this guy did and he's ~60 miles out:
hdtvexpert.com/pages_c/DTVtransition.html

[not convinced on the EZ HD]

The gain numbers are much better for the CM2018 in high vhf and in the low uhf range. IMO, the CM2018 is the better choice of the two. But, your signal strengths are high and the CM2016 may still work for you.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15542842

The gain numbers are much better for the CM2018 in high vhf and in the low uhf range. IMO, the CM2018 is the better choice of the two. But, your signal strengths are high and the CM2016 may still work for you.

Rick, hello. I am prejudice toward the line of the new Winegard V/U antenna over the new Channel Masters for the same price, you get more gain and Winegard to me is as good as a CH Antenna.

The Winegard HD 7694P to me is more bang for the buck. If you compare SolidSignal prices the Winegard is $11 less shipped. It effectively is about a 4 elements on VHF. The longer swept elements on the CM are good to help as 3rd harmonics on UHF. But knowing that most people I help have the real problems on VHF, I would go with the most VHF elements. Maybe even spend more and go up higher in ther Winegard HD 769 series.

Just my thoughts. :mad:)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hello Piggie,

I agree with your POV. I think the 769x series are top notch and a good choice for SqueakyDog.

Best,

Rick

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/15546692

Hello Piggie,

I agree with your POV. I think the 769x series are top notch and a good choice for SqueakyDog.

Best,

Rick

Yes, I think for the moment Winegard (short of Blonder Tongue) has the lead on High Band - UHF 7-51 antennas.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie /forum/post/15546299

Rick, hello. I am prejudice toward the line of the new Winegard V/U antenna over the new Channel Masters for the same price, you get more gain and Winegard to me is as good as a CH Antenna.

The Winegard HD 7694P to me is more bang for the buck. If you compare SolidSignal prices the Winegard is $11 less shipped. It effectively is about a 4 elements on VHF. The longer swept elements on the CM are good to help as 3rd harmonics on UHF. But knowing that most people I help have the real problems on VHF, I would go with the most VHF elements. Maybe even spend more and go up higher in ther Winegard HD 769 series...

Yes, the Winegards look very well made (tho DanKurts says the main connection isn't great). I was a little confused by Winegard's conservative "milage" rating versus CMs (maybe it's creative marketing on CMs part) see: tvantenna.com/products/tvreception/tvantennas/winegard/HD-7694P.XXXX

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Morning SqueakyDog,

Unfortunately, the FM band is between ch 6 and 7. The ch 7-69 antennas will not pick up the FM range.

Rick

1 - 20 of 30 Posts