AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. :confused:

Question about directional audio from surround left+rights:

About a year ago I set up my first 5.1 surround system with a cheap Insignia receiver from about 6-7 years ago. When listening to movies the surrounds did absolutely nothing, unless there was an off screen noise. I loved this.

Recently I've upgraded to a Denon AVR-X3200W with the same 5.1 speakers, and I've noticed a tonne of music and other junk that I don't want coming through those left and right surrounds. Is there a way to fix this?

Just to make note, I'm getting Dolby/DTS signals to the reciever: When I watch a movie with Dolby TrueHD (The Terminator for example) it shows up on the front display and in the menus as Dolby TrueHD. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC, Audyssey's Dynamic EQ (DEQ) boosts surround audio a bit high. (For most situations, I don't find it to be an issue but, obviously, YMMV.)

You can try turning DEQ off and/or lowering the levels of your surround speakers by ~3dB (or to taste).
Will this eliminate music and other such signals being sent to the surround channels?

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
Will this eliminate music and other such signals being sent to the surround channels?
I can't say as I've noticed an over abundance of music in the surround channels, but there is a lot more activity in the surrounds in some recent movies when compared to older films.

Try turning DEQ off and see what you think. However, this will also eliminate the bass boost associated with DEQ (the good part of DEQ). I usually just turn down the surrounds by 3-5dB and keep DEQ on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't say as I've noticed an over abundance of music in the surround channels, but there is a lot more activity in the surrounds in some recent movies when compared to older films.

Try turning DEQ off and see what you think. However, this will also eliminate the bass boost associated with DEQ (the good part of DEQ). I usually just turn down the surrounds by 3-5dB and keep DEQ on.
Thanks for the input. Do you guys know why with the old reciever it was more discrete/directional? Were the older codecs more directional?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts