AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

If one just happened to pick up some audio cable that was directional. I know that would be silly because most would say audio cables are not directional. But, just say it happened.

Then, what direction does the signal go from preamp to amp?
I'm guessing it goes from preamp to amp, but then it probably doesn't matter because the audio cables aren't directional anyway.

Thanks...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Seeing how audio signals are AC, I don't understand how a cable could be directional.

I have always assumed that when the audio signal crosses 0 volts, electron "flow" will reverse. That pretty much rules out cables being directional, I think.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Follow up -

One source claimed that a cable might be made such that the shield is only grounded on one end. I don't fully understand this, but they said you would want to connect it as indicated.

Maybe someone else has heard of this being done, and can explain more. Seems harmless to connect it in the indicated direction if that is indeed the case.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair /forum/post/19648166

If it mattered, then...

What direction does the signal flow? I'm assuming from preamp to amp. Is that correct?

That would be my choice. It may be that the ground is lifted on the far end to eliminate the possibility of a ground loop and the subsequent hum it would produce. This doesn't seem like too bad an idea.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronadair /forum/post/19648166

If it mattered, then...

What direction does the signal flow? I'm assuming from preamp to amp. Is that correct?

Audio is AC...so it should flow in both directions, so to speak IF my electronics knowledge is not faulty. (Technically it could be a changing current that does not change polarity, but let's ignore that pointless thought exercise.)

I think of it like this. There's a bunch of electrons sitting in a bucket connected to a pipe. If you "pour" the electrons down the pipe, they will push the electrons in the pipe so that electrons pop out the other end, let's say into a holding bucket. Every now and again, rather than pouring electrons from the bucket down a pipe, it will suck the electrons backwards. The suction will pull electrons from the holding bucket back into the pipe.

Probably a flawed analogy. But that's how I think of it, anyway. Maybe an EE guy can explain it better.

Flow of electricity (current,) is all about electrical potential. Excess electrons in some molecules want to go to new homes in molecules missing electrons. In the case of an AC signal changing polarity, the potential is reversed, every so often, once again assuming my physics knowledge is not flawed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.