AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all!

This is the scenerio. We have a conference room (14' x 10') with no real walls; the partitions are made of fabric. This room sits about 10 people.

Without building "real" walls, we need to make audio from a TV display not so audible to the others around. I was looking at a few dome speaker solutions and wireless headsets. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or recommendations.

Best,

T:D

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
For a speaker to have 180 degree dispersion the baffle must be a full wavelength in dimension. At 1kHz that's not difficult, being 1.1 feet, but at 100Hz it's 11.3 feet. Headphones is the only real solution.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedaudio37  /t/1421981/directional-speakers#post_22263511

Brown Innovations has developed some amazing directional audio solutions. Both dome and non-dome directional speakers that can keep sound contained to different sized areas.
One is a line array, highly directional on the long axis as that axis is over a wavelength long in the pass band, the other a parabolic reflector. I doubt either is cost effective for the OPs situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bill did you read all the entries in blog post? Way more than just two speakers. Additionally, Brown's domes are not parabolas, they are hemispheres. All parabolas do is reflect audio back down to the floor. Hemispheres actually focus stereo audio to the right and left ear of the listener. They far more effective at focusing audio than cheap parabolas. I would be happy to provide you with additional details if you have an interest in learning more about focused audio.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
yes go with headphones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
headphones are unsanitary especially if they are going to be shared by different listeners. directional speakers will work perfectly for the application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts