AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I need to suggestions/directions to install a 5.1 HT with all in-ceiling speakers. Here is my situation.

1. We recently moved in to a new home that has a 5.1 rough-in (as per builder) in the living room.

2. I never did any of this stuff by myself, but confident that I can do it.

3. I need suggestions on how should I go about installing these in-ceiling speakers. (I have Martin Logan Helos on order).

4. Is it necessary that, I need to find a stud in the ceiling to fix these speakers ? Or since the rough-in is available, there will be some sort of mechanism already available ? (I know, I need to open the small in-ceiling plate and see for myself, but wanted to check here first).

Please help. I need to finish this stuff at the earliest.

Thanks

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,168 Posts
Generally you need a wide open piece of drywall to install ceiling speakers. That means away from ceiling joists (what you called studs). A template will come with the speakers and using that, you cut out a hole in the ceiling. Ceiling speakers are designed to grip the edges of the drywall holding it in place. If there is a joist in the way you will not be able to push the speaker into place.

You need to tell us about your rough in as it may actually need to be removed from the ceiling for a clean install. They can be a PIA to deal with and unless you are handy it is time to get out the check book. By clean install I mean when you look up all you see is a speaker. You don't want to see all those extra rough in boxes and covers off to the side of your speakers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That helps.

Even my understanding is the same that we do not need to find a stud. Actually I was talking to a friend and he confused me saying that, we need to find a stud to hang the in-ceiling speakers and stuff like that.

In simple terms, this is what I have to do then.

Get the templete of the speaker, cut along with it. The speakers would have a mechanism to fit in nicely. Ofcourse I need to make sure there are no studs around, wiring and other things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts