AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
If it is the Circuit City deal, it is $99.00. Not $50.00. It also seems like they are sold out. Probably people trying to make some cash on Ebay.

EDIT: you are right! Final price is $99.00 then there is a $50.00 rebate! Now if I could just find one to try out,:mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
They have them in local stores on Long Island. It looks like they pulled the rebate info, though. I have a PDF of the rebate if anyone wants it, but I don't know if it will work for you since your receipt won't make mention of it. I ordered mine yesterday before they pulled the rebate and my confirmation e-mail has a section about the $50 rebate with a link. I got a shipping confirmation already and the unit will be delivered today.


Hmmm, let's see now. That makes 6 UTVs, 2 DirecTivos, and 1 HDTV receiver. I should be committed soon.


Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by colecole
Kevin-


Which do you prefer- the DTV-Tivo or the UTVs?
Hi, Cole. The stats should say which: 6 UTVs and 2 Tivos. :)


Hands down, the UTV is a much cleaner interface and much nicer to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin L
Hi, Cole. The stats should say which: 6 UTVs and 2 Tivos. :)


Hands down, the UTV is a much cleaner interface and much nicer to use.
I'll just never understand how anyone can say the UTV is a cleaner interface. It reminds of the difference between MS-DOS and Windows. I do miss the keyboard though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bengalfreak
I'll just never understand how anyone can say the UTV is a cleaner interface. It reminds of the difference between MS-DOS and Windows. I do miss the keyboard though.
THere are a lot of reasons I feel it's a cleaner, simpler, interface, but I'll give you one big one that I've used this week.


HBO has a series called "The Wire". I enjoyed it last season so I made sure I'd record this year's episodes. I didn't have any plans on when to watch it, but I knew it would be a while before I did. I think this season had ten or so episodes. If I set up a Series Record to record all first-run episodes and keep all til watched, I get a single entry on My Shows showing I have 10 episodes. Very easy to find and watch all episodes with little danger I'd watch out of order or delete on accidently. With a Season Pass, I'd still be able to record the same episodes, but they would be scattered all over the Now Playing list. Some of my PVRs have over 70 shows on them. It's simple to find what I'm looking for in My Shows. Not so easy with Now Playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by schorne
I read a while back that a tivo upgrade had put in "folders" where like shows would be put. Is this true?


Nope, Dtivos don't have folders yet. You were probably thinking of Tivo's standalone units that have the 4.0 software. 4.0 added a bunch of new features. DTivos have been stuck on 3.1 for almost a year now. It makes you wonder exactly which DTV PVR is really the "unsupported" one. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin L
THere are a lot of reasons I feel it's a cleaner, simpler, interface, but I'll give you one big one that I've used this week.


HBO has a series called "The Wire". I enjoyed it last season so I made sure I'd record this year's episodes. I didn't have any plans on when to watch it, but I knew it would be a while before I did. I think this season had ten or so episodes. If I set up a Series Record to record all first-run episodes and keep all til watched, I get a single entry on My Shows showing I have 10 episodes. Very easy to find and watch all episodes with little danger I'd watch out of order or delete on accidently. With a Season Pass, I'd still be able to record the same episodes, but they would be scattered all over the Now Playing list. Some of my PVRs have over 70 shows on them. It's simple to find what I'm looking for in My Shows. Not so easy with Now Playing.
Well, that used to be a problem much more than it is now. The Tivo still doesn't have folders, but with a few presses of the remote, you can now sort all items in "Now Playing" by title or date. Grouping everything by name makes it much more unlikely to watch out of order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bengalfreak
Well, that used to be a problem much more than it is now. The Tivo still doesn't have folders, but with a few presses of the remote, you can now sort all items in "Now Playing" by title or date. Grouping everything by name makes it much more unlikely to watch out of order.
How do you sort the Now Playing list?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Well, longrufus, you made me happier about my continued use of UTV. With the 80 episodes of Knight Rider I had at one point and the 50 episodes of Hercules I will be picking up this week, those folders will be essential to avoid a nightmare. I won't be moving over until the HDTivo comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
You can sort the "NOW PLAYING LIST" on the Tivo as follows:

Go to the now playing list

With the remote, enter Slow, zerO, Record, Thumbs up (SORT)

You will see a pop up window on the bottom of the screen

enter "3" on the remote and your list will sort alphabetically



You can hit the "info" button to see the sorting options. I'm at work, so I'm not sure whether 1 or 2 enables sort by date. I always use "3" for alphabetical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts

Originally posted by slim69

You can sort the "NOW PLAYING LIST" on the Tivo as follows:

Go to the now playing list

With the remote, enter Slow, zerO, Record, Thumbs up (SORT)

You will see a pop up window on the bottom of the screen

enter "3" on the remote and your list will sort alphabetically


Thanks. It worked. Was the pop up window at the bottom always there or did I have to enter the code to get it? Will I have to enter the code again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
you have to be kidding right?


that is the way you bring up a sort menu???????


that is so unfriendly. hello???? are we still in the DOS command line days??????


i am for sure going to miss my UTV. sigh.

Quote:
Originally posted by slim69
You can sort the "NOW PLAYING LIST" on the Tivo as follows:

Go to the now playing list

With the remote, enter Slow, zerO, Record, Thumbs up (SORT)

You will see a pop up window on the bottom of the screen

enter "3" on the remote and your list will sort alphabetically



You can hit the "info" button to see the sorting options. I'm at work, so I'm not sure whether 1 or 2 enables sort by date. I always use "3" for alphabetical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by slocko
you have to be kidding right?


that is the way you bring up a sort menu???????


that is so unfriendly. hello???? are we still in the DOS command line days??????


i am for sure going to miss my UTV. sigh.
It's not as bad as it seems. You only have to do the magic key press sequence once. From that time on until you reboot the "sort option" is available. Here are some screen shots so you can see. The first one shows the default sort order with the prompt to allow you to choose sort order.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,604 Posts
oh okay. i misunderstood. that is not so bad if you only have to do it once.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top