AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions for the guys using a Panasonic E80. Just bought one today and ran into a few snags.

I have a Dtivo going to my TV (Video 1) using the analog(?) video cable(yellow) and the R-L audio. The Digital Bitstream to my RECEIVER TV for Digital 5.1 Movies.

Since my TV has only one S-Video input and it's on Video 2, I used that for my DVD PLAYER with, again, the digital audio 5.1 going to the Receiver DVD Setting and the analog R-L going to the TV Video 2 analog inputs.

I have the R, L audio and S-Video from Tivo going to Panasonic 80 Line 1 INPUT. Since I have no way of going to TV with the S-video or audio from the E80, I had to send it to LINE 1 INPUT of my DVD Player which accepts it and then send it to the TV via the S-video and R-L analog audio.

Question 1) Is there a switch box I can buy and send all these connections to to simply the process or take better advantage of resources?

Question 2) How does the E80 record digital 5.1 audio if it does not have for such inputs? Or can't it record digital 5.1?

If I record 5 childrens programs on 1 DVD-R can I create a Menu so I can go to each individually?

Thanks to all who can help shed some light on this.

CR

Does anyone know of a website or other sites with resources for the EH80 I can read, the instructions booklet is quite simple.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dc8driver
If I record 5 childrens programs on 1 DVD-R can I create a Menu so I can go to each individually?
Yes indeed!

Quote:
Does anyone know of a website or other sites with resources for the EH80 I can read, the instructions booklet is quite simple.
A very good start is to read all of the cheat sheet topic in this forum. (I wish they would make it 'sticky' so it stays at the top of the listings)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just found you over here in this forum!!! I guess you found it afterall.

here's a copy of my answer.

As far as I know E80 can't input 5.1, just output, and I think it's part of the copyright thing.

Regarding 5 shows on 1 dvd: There may be other ways of doing it but for series I want to burn, I record each from my T60 onto the E80, typically unattended overnight etc. Then I'll go edit each episode using the shorten segment(60 min. down to about 42). You didn't say how long your shows are so I can't tell you what speed to record at. Just don't record in EP, it's horrible. I do my cartoon show in LP and it's fair. SP is indeed the best considering you get 2:08 on a dvd and the quality is near XP. But for my one cartoon I fit 12 one half hour episodes edited in LP and it's tolerable.

Once you have the edited shows, plop in your -R and hit function/ dubbing. You then click on the selections which puts you back into the menu of everything on your hard drive. Remember high speed dubbing can only be used if you are going from the same speed to the same speed. As you add selections, you will see the MB go up on the screen. You are allowed 4411mb on the -R and a bit less if you use RAM. But I'm sure you will use -R.

After you have filled the disk, it takes about an hour to burn. Then you can add a title to the disk. After you finalize (you must do this to play in other recorders) you will see the menu and you can pick from any of the episodes you burned. There may be other ways of doing this but I have used this method for the 3 months and I'm very happy with it. There are something called playlists but I am not sure what they are used for. I suppose it's something used to put different things together but I'm still learning.

The entering of titles is a pain and yes the owner's manual does suck. So if you have any other questions just let me know.

Oh almost forgot your setup question sorry. I only have 1 S vid on my tv so my setup may help you. Or maybe it will give you some ideas. I just helped someone out with it so here is the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=349807

and go to my posting 1/11 at 626pm. This setup assumes you want to use TIVO when the E80 is off. If you want the E80 on all the time, you can eliminate one of the switches and look further down that posting for that options.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
function/flexible recording. If you have something that you know is, say 1:30, you can set the FR for 1:30 and it will record better than SP but not quite as good as XP. Just look at the cheat sheet or search for FR. There are other more indepth explanations about when it's 208-220 or thereabouts and I forget the rules at the moment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.