AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Samsung UN65C8000. What has always frustrated me is having to flip from one input source to the next to get to the input I want. I'd much prefer to have one button take me directly to BluRay, a second take me directly to TV, and a third take me directly to gaming console.

I suspect I could go buy an HDMI switcher with a remote that would do this, but is it possible with a programmable remote to have a single button take you to a specific source input on a Samsung TV?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, a programmable universal remote will do this for you. There is a wide variety from the JP1 type for around $15 to fancy LCD screen ones for $500. Basically, define your budget, requirements, and then find one that works best.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
A one-for-all, RCA or cable remote (JP1) can do it with following codes, using TV code 0702 (10702) and the Instructions in my sig:

inputav00076
inputcomponent00190
inputext00188
inputhdmi100081
inputhdmi200030
inputhdmi300175
inputhdmi400176
inputpc00073
inputtv00251
inputusb00060

I like to put such functions on shifted number keys. But I rarely use them that way. Normally those input selections would be part of a macro that also turns the all the appropriate devices on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great, thanks! I have one of the $15 remotes. What I really want to do is bind the inputs to the unused A/B/C/D buttons my Tivo Slide Remote which is a learning remote. So I'm guessing my best option is to use those codes to programming my code-based remote, then train my Tivo from the code-based remote.

Will try it. If anyone has a simpler solution, let me know, but hopefully this will solve it for me.

(Another option I'm considering if I can figure out how to do it is to send the A/B/C/D IR to the IR receiver on my Mac Mini, then use my Mac Mini to instruct the TV over the network to select a certain input. The advantage of this system is that I can also integrate my home automation system through my computer to the TV so I could press a button and have the TV turned on and select a specific input.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdam1001 /forum/post/0

Not sure if you can program the A,B,C,D buttons on the TiVo Remote, can you?

The slide remote is a learning remote, so I think I can if I can generate the ir signals.

I just bought a parallel/jp1 cable so I can flash my oneforall remote and put in the codes recommended above. Will post if it works.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
You don't need a cable to enter those code. But since you got one anyway, are you certain you got the right type? Only older remotes use the interface you bought. What model one-for-all do you have?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/0

You don't need a cable to enter those code. But since you got one anyway, are you certain you got the right type? Only older remotes use the interface you bought. What model one-for-all do you have?

I have the 6131 and was unable to make the codes work following the instructions provided.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
I see. You're right, that one won't accept the codes without a cable. But you need to do your homework, because that one may need an EEPROM and JP1 pins soldered in before you can program it with a cable. There are also different versions that require different cables, like the 6131n.

Since you just want to teach a few discretes, you may still be able to get remotes that will work on clearance at your local radio shack for $1. Those are models 15-133, 134, 135 and 100. I'd do that, or borrow or buy another like the RCA RCRP05B before spending too much money on that 6131.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej
I see. You're right, that one won't accept the codes without a cable. But you need to do your homework, because that one may need an EEPROM and JP1 pins soldered in before you can program it with a cable. There are also different versions that require different cables, like the 6131n.

Since you just want to teach a few discretes, you may still be able to get remotes that will work on clearance at your local radio shack for $1. Those are models 15-133, 134, 135 and 100. I'd do that, or borrow or buy another like the RCA RCRP05B before spending too much money on that 6131.
I got the cable cheap on eBay. The version of the 6131 I have does have a jp1 female receiver. Not a big loss if it doesn't work, but it is helpful to know which are the cheap ones I could buy or borrow!

·
Registered
527 Posts
The JP1 connector in UEI remotes is 6 male pins. 6131 remotes were shipped without the header containing the the 6 pins, and instead have the 6 holes in the printed circuit board that the header would solder into. A JP1 interface cable has a female connector. In order to use the an interface cable with a 6131 or 6131n remote, a 6 pin header and 2K EEPROM need to be soldered onto the board.

However, I have a 6131nB00, and it accepted the above EFCs. The 6131 series of remotes are old, and use 3 digit EFCs rather than 5 digit. So from the above table, instead of 00076, enter in 076.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oooh, cool! I have the 6131nB00. I will try the 3-digit versions and report the results. I got the cable today and fortunately it came with a a male/female adapter.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's the good news. The three-digit versions did indeed work on my 6131nB00.

The bad news is that the "extra" A, B, C, D buttons on a Tivo Slide Remote are not programmable. Only Power, Input, Volume +/- and Mute. So I made the "Input" button jump directly to the Tivo input channel, which is an improvement. (Sadly, the new Samsung displays the on-screen-display when toggling through Inputs which is a pain because the OSD timeout is ~60 seconds, so you're pretty much required to use the "Menu Exit" button when you're done selecting an input channel.)

I'm bummed that the Tivo Slide remote doesn't let me program more buttons (e.g. I don't need the Zoom button either.) The bluetooth makes it a much better way to interact with the Tivo, but now I'm stuck with needing at least two remotes. Sigh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two questions on the 6131...

1) Does this remote support a "shift" mode so i can program shift-1, shift-2, etc? If it does it isn't obvious to me.

2) I have the JP1 cable now, is it worth flashing this remote to newer codes?

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
1) Yes, AFAIK. But to use shifted numbers, you have to press shift twice. So program them the normal way with a single shift, but to use shift-1, for example, you have to press shift-shift-1.

2) Yes. The codes aren't "newer", but you will have a complete set and won't have to use the keypad for all your programming. However, as we've tried to warn you before, the JP1 cable won't work until you solder in an EEPROM. And does the 6131 have holes or pads? If it has holes, you'll still have to solder in pins because there is no electrical connection even if you stick something in the holes. The 6131 is the second worst JP1 remote (the 15-100 is the worst) because of all the difficult modifications that have to be done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts