AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been saving my movies to a RAID5 array for a video on demand server.

I was wondering if you ever needed to do the following and how you did it.

Currently I have a RAID5 setup at home, I'm about to max out the space

If I setup a 2nd RAID5 array at home how

can I merge the directories. For example in the following drive/directory I

have directories for each movie

F:\\Movies\\Saving Private Ryan

F:\\Movies\\Pulp Fiction

F:\\Movies\\American Pie

Now if I setup another Raid 5 array and want to continue on and G: has this:

G:\\Movies\\Fast Times At Ridgemont High

On the computer that I connect to the server with let's say I map drive z:

and I see the movies directory

How can I have the directories that are on F: & G: on the server show up

together like this from a connected computer, assuming drive Z: on the

connected computer:

Z:\\Movies\\Saving Private Ryan

Z:\\Movies\\Pulp Fiction

Z:\\Movies\\American Pie

Z:\\Movies\\Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Thanks,

·
Registered
845 Posts
Is it possible to just build a new, larger raid5 array? Typically the parity data gives you nDisks-1 in storage space, creating two arrays would reduce your maximum capacity.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jflatt,

I've thought about that. Currently the RAID5 array is a software array in Windows2000. From what I understand I would have to destroy the array in order to increase it's size and I don't have a backup of the data. I could go back to my origional DVD's but then I'm into alot of time re-ripping them to the server.

Unless you know of tools that will allow me to expand a W2K Server software raid.

·
Registered
194 Posts
jcase,

Unfortunately, you can't resize a win server software array. Actually there are 2 operations required, one is add the additional disk to the array and then resize the OS partition. If you had a hardware controller that supported it you could resize the array but you would still need to resize the OS partition using something like partition magic, etc...

To use 2 arrays you could (if you had hardware arrays) use the dynamic span feature of windows and make them appear as a single large drive but using software raid I don;t think you can do this.....

·
Registered
845 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can't even have your OS partition on a software RAID array in Windows.

How big is this array? I've just put together 500gigs, and wouldn't mind holding onto some movies for you :D

What about creating a folder and storing shortcuts to your movies from different locations?

c:\\movies\\

shortcut -> f:\\pulp fiction

shortcut -> z:\\american pie

Is there a certain software package you're using that wouldn't allow this? Or are you a neat freak that needs all the files in one logical folder?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug,

Thanks for the link. I think I've found a way to expand a windows2000 software raid 5 array using Veritas Volume Manager. According to what I've read. Veritas made the mmc disk management plugin in 2000 as spec'd by MS. The utility is an add on that will allow you to expand a raid5 array. As I find out more I'll post my results.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Using MyHTPC software, you can specify several movie directories in the configuration utility. MyHTPC then builds it's own database and presents a composite index of all your movies.

-tom

·
Registered
194 Posts
tmmort,

There are several ways to make where the files are located transparent at the time of use, but the goal here is not to have to manage the disk space manually......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.